Walsh nets late winner after Town see lead slip away

Mid Lincs league B, under 14s

Greenbank 3

Alford Town FC 4

ALFORD Town kicked off against Greenbank and looked good on the ball, and it wasn’t long before Paul put the reds in front.

Alford had made a number of changes, including George Denby, who stepped up for the team in goal.

Reece Walsh stepped into the strikers role and didn’t disappoint, scoring the second of Alford’s goals.

The third of Alford’s goals before half time came from Woodward, who was quick off the mark to take advantage of a bad Greenbank pass.

His shot was caught, but as the keeper was going backwards he dropped the ball and it ended up in the back of the net.

Alford were on top of the game, and it looked like being a high-scoring encounter, with the half time score 3-0.

The half time team talk went well, with Bates and Harrison coming on, but Alford forgot about the wind and within five minutes of the restart, Greenbank won a free kick.

It was taken perfectly and found the back of the net from 30 yards, with Denby given no chance.

The second of Greenbanks goals was also wind assisted, which narrowed the gap to 3-2, before Greenbank were awarded a penalty, which they scored to level it up.

Alford took it on the chin and felt they deserved a result from this fixture, battling well with Bates having three attempts but failing to score.

Alford were playing in Greenbank’s half for most of the last 10 minutes, but had to wait until four minutes from time, when Cole delivered a great throw in find the foot of Walsh, who flicked the ball perfectly over the head of the keeper to make the score 4-3 to Alford Town.

Man of the match was Jack Langlois.

Alford Town: Simpson, Lowes, Langlois, Cole, Briggs, Walsh, Marshall, Harrison, Denby, Woodward, Bates, Vann, Paul.

Ruston Sports u13s 4

Alford Town 2

ALFORD Town found themselves on their travels again for the third time out of four games so far this season.

Alford had to start well and keep the free scoring Ruston attackers quiet, but the plans to halt their attack was blown apart as Ruston scored just 30 seconds from the kick off.

Alford traded equal blows with the home side, but could do very little about going 2-0 down, when a fierce shot from 25 yards flew into the top corner and put the league leaders in control.

Alford had to regroup and be careful not to let the game slip away before half time.

Their response to Ruston’s second goal resulted in Marshall scoring from 18 yards, over the keeper and into the net.

It was a well deserved goal before half time, meaning a one goal deficit at 2-1.

After the break, the game was end to end with chances falling to both teams, but Ruston showed why they’re top, with two more clinical finishes from their forwards, making the score 4-1.

Alford again had chances to narrow the scoreline and soon did through man of the match Jess Marshall, who scored past the keeper from a through pass by Codd.

The game proved to be a game of the two left wingers, Marshall for Alford, and Stennings for Ruston.

Alford: Houltby, Taylor, Holmes, Blake, Henden, Beardsley, Codd, Cherrie, Lewis, Bell, Marshall, Sparrow, Turner, Harrison.