United to face Town in cup quarter-final

Share this article

Supplementary Cup – Round 1

Skegness United 4 Horncastle Town 0

United welcomed Jordan Walden, Ben Martin and Michael Howard back to the squad, however, Sean Chamberlain, Jason Keal and Herbie Nicholls were unavailable due to injury.

This was the United first teams first home game since the tragic death of local footballer Craig Rawlinson and Saturday was also the fifth anniversary of the tragic loss of Adam Baxter, so a minutes silence was held in memory of both these wonderful boys.

Horncastle started the more brightly of the two sides and after three minutes Michael Harness crossed from the right and Ben Martin in the home goal had to turn the ball over the bar for a corner.

The resulting corner was cleared. United slowly came into the game when first Ryan O’Loughlin delayed a through ball to Kurt Crossley and the opportunity was lost and then Crossley was crowded out when in a good position.

United’s first real chance to open the scoring came on 20 minutes when from a free kick on the edge of the visitors area O’Loughlin was wasteful; firing over the bar.

On 25 minutes United opened the scoring when Mark Hallam released Jobe Stainton down the right, and his inch perfect cross was headed home by Kurt Crossley, past Brody Willerton in the visitors goal.

Horncastle replied down the right and Harness’s cross flashed across the goal mouth and out for a corner.

United were beginning to take control of the game and just before half time twice came close to adding number two, when first O’Loughlin failed to connect fully with his shot and the ball came back out off the post and was cleared. Luke Rayner-Mistry who had been causing havoc throughout the half with his pace down the left then cut in and fired a rasping shot just wide of the post.

United started the second half where they had left off and within two minutes Mistry- Rayner was released down the left and cut the ball back to Ross Muirhead whose shot was just over the bar.

On 55 minutes United finally scored number two after Crossley had been brought down on the edge of the area after a mazy run. From the resulting free kick, Mark Hallam placed a sweetly struck shot into the bottom corner leaving Willerton rooted to his line.

Ten minutes later, United increased their lead when Hallam put a ball into the visitor’s box which was cleared out to the right. The ball was returned by O’Loughlin and Kurt Crossley headed home from 10 yards.

Shortly afterwards Michael Howard replaced Hallam. United had now taken control of the game with Rayner-Mistry the major thorn to the visitors defence each time he collected the ball. Horncastle were finding it difficult to make progress against the United central defence of Jordan Walden and Jamie Skinner.

Josh Clarke came on for O’Loughlin on 75 minutes. Then Crossley was just wide with another header after good work from Rayner-Mistry and Kyle McGuigan. With ten minutes remaining, good play by Crossley set up Sam Sleight whose shot was neatly saved by Willerton.

With only minutes remaining Rayner-Mistry released Clarke down the right, who went to the by-line and cleverly picked out Kurt Crossley for his hat-trick which is his third in his last three games.

United now meet neighbours Skegness Town in the quarter-final to be played in March.

Team - Ben Martin, Jobe Stainton, Ross Muirhead, Jordan Walden, Jamie Skinner, Sam Sleight, Mark Hallam (Michael Howard), Kyle McGuigan, Luke Rayner-Mistry, Ryan O’Loughlin (Josh Clarke) and Kurt Crossley.

Man of the match - Luke Rayner-Mistry.

Match Sponsors - Skegness Water Leisure Park

Match Ball Sponsors - Churchills Sports and Wine Bar

On Saturday night Skegness United FC are hosting their ‘Christmas Casino Night’ at the Crown Hotel, which starts at 7.30pm. Tickets can be purchased via our website, or they can be purchased on the door for just £12 on the night.