United stay hot on leaders’ heels

Lincolnshire Premier League

Skegness United 7

Sleaford Town Reserves 0

SKEGNESS United made a great start to the game, immediately pressing Sleaford into their own half.

After five minutes, the ball was headed back into the area and Callum Hyland knocked the ball home from close range.

It was all United and on 13 minutes, it was 2-0 when Callum Hyland again scored with a looping header, after Walden had headed back across goal.

A minute later, number three arrived through a great passing move, when Ben Davison passed to Mark Hallam, who dummied the ball, allowing it to run through to brother Andy Hallam. He then fed MaCauley Parker who made a great overlapping run down the left, who laid it back to the onrushing Mark Hallam, who had continued his run, and he scored with a fine left foot shot past Howleman into the corner.

On 40 minutes, United increased the lead to four when interplay between Andy Hallam and Mark Hallam allowed the latter to release MaCauley Parker, who ran on to knock the ball past Howleman.

It was ten minutes into the second half before any real action took place, when Margarson had to be alert to turn a rare Sleaford shot around the post.

United continued to attack and over the course of five minutes, scored two more.

First Arron Scutt scored after Howleman mishandled a shot, and then John Courtney was brought down in the box, allowing Jordan Walden to coolly tuck away the resulting penalty.

Howleman had to be at his best to save further shots from Drysdale, Scutt and Davison, with young Jack Wightwick instrumental in the build up play.

With 10 minutes to go, the youngster picked the ball up just inside the Sleaford half and ghosted past five attempted tackles before audaciously attempting to lob the goalkeeper from 18 yards, only to see the ball land on the roof of the net.

Wightwick had certainly given the home crowd a glimpse of his potential with his close control and darting runs which made life difficult for the Sleaford defence.

The seventh goal came with five minutes to go when Danny Stevens, on a run into the box, beat three players including the keeper and then knocked the ball into the empty net.

This victory kept United in second place, hot on the heels of Cleethorpes, who still lead the way.

Man of the match: McCauley Parker.

Skegness United: Martyn Margarson, Ben Drysdale, MaCauley Parker, Jordan Walden, Dan Stevens, Ben Davision, Mark Hallam, Callum Hyland (Arron Scutt, then replaced by Jason Callaby), Joe Harris, John Courtney, Andy Hallam (Jack Wightwick).