United hit seven in cup progress

Share this article

Ivy Tavern 1-7 Skegness United (Lincs Junior Cup)

AFTER the run of league successes, United travelled to Lincoln for what turned out to be a very physical encounter against the Ivy Tavern CSA, in the second round of the Lincolnshire Junior Cup.

United were without talisman Kurt Crossley who was rested and Luke Raynor-Mistry and Kyle McGuigan started on the bench as managers Hallam and Smith shuffled their pack.

Jason Keal made his full debut after joining last week while Sam Sleight made his first start of the season. The young United side made a brilliant start to the match despite some rough house tactics by the opposition and went 2-0 up in the first twenty minutes.

The first goal came after 3 minutes from the magical left foot of Ryan O’Loughlin who curled a 20 yard free-kick into the far corner to continue his run of scoring in every game so far. The second goal came from the returning Aaron Scutt after Michael Howard played him in after some neat footwork.

The United continued to play some fantastic flowing football despite the home sides attempts to knock them out of their stride and they scored two further goals before half time. O’Loughlin’s trickery led to him being dragged down in the Ivy area for a penalty. Skipper Sean Chamberlain confidently converted to make it 3-0 to United after half an hour.

At times, it seemed as if the Ivy were chasing the shadows of the United players and United effectively killed off the game when Scutt doubled his goal tally for the tie by finishing a nice United move on the stroke of half-time to give them a comfortable 4-0 lead at the break.

The United began the second half as they ended the first, with quick passing football that has become a trademark of their play this season. To add to the Ivy misery, young starlet Luke Rayner-Mistry who had only just joined the action scored with his first touch on 60 minutes to make it 5-0. The United continued to create several chances including a skied effort from Howard and the Ivy keeper making a stunning save from Scutt to deny him his hat-trick.

United were awarded another penalty, when Howard was brought down unceremoniously. Howard confidently took the ball from Chamberlain in an attempt to open his account for the season but the Ivy ‘keeper guessed the right way to deny Howard the goal.

Ivy managed to get their name on the score sheet when a mix up between Skinner and Martin allowed the Ivy striker to run clean through and he scuffed the ball past Martin to make it 5-1.

Normal service was resumed just a minute later when substitute Kyle McGuigan scored with a great finish from the edge of the area. Moments after joining the action. Howard finally got the goal his hard work deserved after a weaving run through the defence to then slot the ball into top corner making it 7-1. The final whistle blew with the United moving comfortably into the third round.

After the match, manager Mark Hallam said of the victory “We knew this would be a tough place to come but with an average age of just 20 years old, the team were an absolute joy to watch; playing some scintillating football.

On another day we could have racked up a cricket score but Jason and I were delighted with the performance of all the players.”

United’s next match is on Saturday October 13 at Wainfleet Road against Louth Town Reserves with a 3pm kick-off. Skegness United Reserves are also at home to Woodhall Spa with a 2.30pm kick-off.

Squad -Martin, Keal, Drysdale, Skinner, Muirhead, Chamberlain, Nicholls, Sleight, Scutt (McGuigan), O’Loughlin (Rayner-Mistry), Howard. Man of the Match: Aaron Scutt