United hit Rasen for Six

Market Rasen Town 1 Skegness United 6

United started the more brightly of the two sides and they took the lead after just ten minutes.

Ross Muirhead played the ball down the left to Rayner-Mistry who linked well with Kurt Crossley; who laid it back to Ryan O’Loughlin and he beat the home keeper with a low shot into the corner from 15 yards.

On 20 minutes O’Loughlin released Rayner-Mistry down the left again and when his cross came over, Crossley was just wide of the post with his shot.

After 25 minutes Herbie Nicholls replaced the injured Jason Keal and shortly afterwards from a United free kick, Sean Chamberlain was just over the bar with his shot.

United increased their lead on 35 minutes when O’Loughlin picked the ball up in midfield and when his shot was blocked by Christie, Kurt Crossley reacted first, hitting the bar, however he was on hand to head the ball over the line when it came down.

With five minutes of the half remaining, player-manager Mark Hallam replaced Sean Chamberlain, once again due to injury.

Just on half time Rasen got themselves back into the game, when following a free kick Guy Smith got the last touch to steer the ball past Gilbert; who will be disappointed he didn’t keep it out.

United started the second half at an electric pace and within three minutes had restored their two goal advantage. Ross Muirhead rose to head home a O’loughlin free kick from 10 yards out.

On 70 minutes Hallam played a clever free-kick into Kurt Crossley in the Rasen area, he beat two defenders, and as Christie came off his line he placed the ball into the corner of the net.

United were now in total control, playing their trademark passing game that had been absent in recent weeks.

Within two minutes, United had five on the board when O’Loughlin found Rayner-Mistry who rounded the keeper and passed to skipper Kurt Crossley, who completed his hat-trick to make it 17 league goals in only 10 games.

Rasen’s best chance of the game came with five minutes to go, when a forward found himself in space with just Gilbert to beat, but fired wide.

With the game approaching the end, United scored their sixth. O’Loughlin was brought down in the box, however the referee played on and Crossley collected the ball and crossed for Luke Rayner-Mistry to score from close range.

Assistant Manager Jason Smith said: “In the second half we were terrific and played the quality of football we showed in the early part of the season.”

Team - Andy Gilbert, Jason Keal (Herbie Nicholls), Ross Muirhead, Kyle McGuigan, Jamie Skinner, Sean Chamberlain (Mark Hallam), Sam Sleight, Jobe Stainton, Luke Rayner-Mistry, Ryan O’Loughlin and Kurt Crossley.

Man of the Match: Kyle McGuigan.

Next Saturday United play Horncastle Town at Wainfleet Road in Round 1 of the Supplementary Cup. (Kick–off 1.30pm).