United advance in cup

Share this article

Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup - Round 3

Crosby Colts 0 Skegness United 1

United went into the match having to make a number of changes due to unavailability and injuries.

Missing from the line up were Kurt Crossley, Ross Muirhead, Luke Rayner-Mistry, Jordan Walden, Micheal Howard and Arron Scutt. Into the squad came Sam Walker, Josh Clarke and Jobe Stainton.

United had the first chance on goal in the first minute when Kyle McGuigan was put through on goal, however the home keeper was quickly off his line to smoother the shot.

Five minutes later Ben Drysdale played the prolific Ryan O’Loughlin in but with only the keeper to beat he fired wide of the post.

The home side’s first attack on goal came on 15 minutes when the left back broke down the wing, however his shot across the goal was well wide. Then from an O’Loughlin free kick Sean Chamberlain’s header was wide of the goal.

On 30 minutes United took the lead when a corner ball was cleared by the home defence to the edge of the area, and young Josh Clarke, who was making his full debut for the first team fired home a stunning drive that arrowed into the far corner of the net from 20 yards.

The game was all one way, towards the home goal and on 38 minutes Sam Sleight had a shot saved and his follow up was just wide of the post.

Crosby’s best chance came just on half time when they broke on the left and the forward chipped Ben Martin, however the bounce took the ball wide of the post.

United went in at half time with a one goal lead, although on balance of play could and should have had the game wrapped up.

The second half started with United on the attack. Within two minutes from a United corner Jamie Skinner headed over the bar. Then Ryan O’Loughlin picked up the ball in midfield and advanced, but his shot was wide of the post.

On 55 minutes Sam Walker replaced goal scorer Josh Clarke.

As in the first half, United were pressing the home defence, and Crosby were restricted to isolated attacks.

The next chance came to United on 70 minutes when Chamberlain had a shot fly wide.

Shortly afterwards Crosby had their first real chance of the half when they broke clear on the right, however Martin saved the shot low down.

Crosby then had a free kick in the centre position outside the area.

From the resulting free kick Martin pulled off an excellent save and the follow up was fired wide of the post. The match went back to the other end and O’Loughlin had two shots on goal which were both saved by the home keeper. The game ended with United moving into the next round despite a below par performance.

Team - Ben Martin, Jason Keal, Ben Drysdale, Sam Sleight, Jamie Skinner, Sean Chamberlain, Herbie Nicholls, Kyle McGuigan, Jobe Stainton, Ryan O’Loughlin and Josh Clarke.

Man of Match: Sam Sleight.

United have no match this coming Saturday. However, are away on Tuesday, November 13 with a 7.45pm kick off against Louth Town Reserves.