Town ease into next round

Share this article

Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup

Skegness Town 3 North Somercotes 0

SKEGNESS Town eased their way into the next round of the county cup with a comfortable victory over North Somercotes United from Division One of the East Lincs Combination.

Any giant-killing hopes the visitors had were dashed during a first half dominated by the Lilywhites.

Troy Lonslow was the seasiders’ hero with two goals, although he picked up an injury for his troubles and failed to show for the second half.

John Courtney was also on target as Town booked their place in this week’s draw for the next round.

With Ben Davison being rested and Michael Emery unavailable there were just two changes from the side that beat Sleaford Town Reserves.

Joe Errington went between the sticks and Jake Akers returned to the defence.

The opening exchanges were fairly even and it was not until the 13th minute that the first real chance was created.

Sadly for United it fell to the lethal Lonslow, whose crisp finish from eight yards gave Stuart Hodson in the visiting goal no chance.

The first real threat to the home goal didn’t arrive until the 34th minute when Nathan Hobson’s left footed effort whistled over Errington’s cross bar.

The Lilywhites doubled their lead two minutes later. Liam Papworth played a short corner to full back Chris Nicholls, who whipped in a cross, which was met by the head of John Courtney at the near post. Again Hodson had no chance with this clinical finish.

Town were fortunate to retain their two-goal advantage when the visitors were twice denied by the frame of the goal and a good save by Errington in the 40th minute.

The action swung to the other end and Lonslow rounded Hodson after latching onto Courtney’s teasing through ball, only to see his effort roll inches wide of the target.

Defenders’ desperate challenges to keep the ball out left Lonslow with a knee injury, but this didn’t stop him increasing the seasiders’ lead just before the interval.

The ball fell invitingly to the striker on the edge of the penalty area and he picked his spot, side-footing the ball into the top corner. It was a quality finish from a quality player.

Unfortunately for the home crowd Lonslow wasn’t able to complete his hat-trick. There seemed little point in risking further damage to his knee and he didn’t show for the second half.

And Town’s injury woes increased when Andy Parish fell awkwardly while trying to prevent John Atkinson cutting in from the North Somercotes right. The full back had to be carried off with suspected ankle ligament damage.

To their credit North Somercotes didn’t give up and they almost reduced arrears midway through the second half, only to see the effort cleared off the line by Nicholls.

Lonslow’s replacement Michael Hardy had the best chance of the half, but Hodson tipped over his fierce shot in the 80th minute.

Town joint manager Gary Edgley said he was pleased with the result against a side that had only lost once this season.

“Again, we did the job in the first half and we just killed the game off after the break. Our midfield kept the ball well in the second half and James Critchlow just edged out Chris Nicholls for man-of-the-match.”

Skegness Town - Errington, Nicholls, Critchlow, Akers, Gowshall, Parish, Reeson, Courtney, Papworth, Reid, Lonslow, Hardy, Mansell.

North Somercotes United: Hodson, Clark, Christopher, Chapman, Pennell, Hobson, Arundel, Silvester, Anderson, Herriman, Atkinson, Limb.

On Saturday Skegness Town are again in cup action when they travel to Boston United in the quarter-finals of the Challenge Cup (kick-off 2.30pm).

Skegness Town Reserves, who were without a game on Saturday, host Billinghay Athletic at Burgh Road in the Boston League Premier Division (kick-off 2.30pm).