Hicky is off the mark in ‘lottery’

Peter Hickman in action at Donington. Photo: Dave Yeomans.
Peter Hickman in action at Donington. Photo: Dave Yeomans.

Willoughby racer Peter Hickman recorded an eighth place in the first round of the 2018 Bennetts British Superbike championship at a rain-affected Donington Park over the Easter weekend.

Heavy rain disrupted free practice and Hickman had the honour of being the first superbike rider of the weekend to crash when he just touched the brake going into the Melbourne loop and went down in first free practice on Saturday.

He said: “it was very slippery out there and I was being careful but going into the Loop I just touched the brake and down I went.”

Following a weather warning for more heavy rain on Monday, the first Superbike race was moved to Sunday when there was a break in the rain and the track was more or less dry.

Qualifying was switched to the morning and Hickman did enough to secure a third row grid position for the race.

As the lights went out he moved up into 10th place and, although there was no chance of catching the leaders, he set about picking off the midfielders, making it up to eighth place on lap 13 of 18.

Unable to make further progress he crossed the finish line in eighth position to pick up his first championship points of the new campaign.

He said: “That was nothing to shout about really apart from the team working awesome as usual.

“This weekend is a bit of a lottery so we will just get through it and move on.

“It’s a long season and the championship isn’t won in the first race. Considering everything that’s happened this weekend so far, we’ll take that. It’s eight points on the board.”

On Monday the weather was dreadful in the morning and it was touch and go whether the meeting would be abandoned.

But some very hard work by the ground staff and marshals saved the day and racing went ahead in the afternoon.

By the time the Superbikes took their grid positions the track was all but dry with some wet patches in places.

Like the majority of riders, Hicky opted for slick tyres and was running in 15th place for the first few laps before making headway up to 12th position.

But on the very last lap he crashed at the Melbourne Loop, his race over.

He said: “It’s been very much a case of ‘steady away’ this weekend as the conditions have been very challenging and after having an uncharacteristic crash on Saturday; we made some massive changes for Sunday’s race.

“I was a bit tentative to begin with but once I settled in, my pace was as good as anyone’s and eighth place wasn’t the worst result I could have had in the first race of 2018.

“Sunday’s race followed a similar pattern and it again took me a long time to get going.

“When it did, my pace was good but when I tried to make a move on Josh Brookes on the final lap, I lost the front and down I went. So, just eight points on the board at the moment but better than none considering the conditions.”

The next round is at Brands Hatch on the short Indy circuit on April 15.