Try spree is impressive

Share this article

Skegness 1st XV 46

East Leake 1st XV 0

AN IMPRESSIVE Skegness romped to a convincing win.

Jenkins scored first after Divilly kicked a slippery ball down the field. The full back failed to gather and the young winger profited with the spoils.

Lancaster scored next as close forward driving gave the prop five points.

The forwards continued to score and it was the vice captain and pack leader Jackson who crossed the white wash twice to give his side ten more points.

The back three of Cameron, Hummel and Jenkins worked well to cover kicks as East Leake searched in vain for their first score.

Divilly scored first in the second half as forwards and backs worked together to score – T Hill’s timely off-load gave the supporting centre the try to make the score 25-0.

Jenkins profited from strong running from Parker, who broke tackles as the defence struggled to put him down.

The winger, again in support, scored under the posts, and Halliday converted to make the score 32-0.

Hummel scored a try from a set piece move as dummy runners held the defence while the ball was spun wide. The full back gave his captain a tough kick but Halliday converted to make the score 39-0.

Skegness continued to pressurise East Leake in defence.

Skegness’ final try came from the last play of the game, as quick thinking from Lancaster saw the hole in the defence and Divilly latched onto a pass before off-loading to the supporting Farnsworth to score.

Halliday kicked the last points of the game to make it 46-0.

Skegness: Frost (Brian), Cook (T Hill), Lancaster, Holliday, Hanson (A Hill), Parker, Johnson, Jackson, Farnsworth, Halliday, Jenkins, Divilly, Taylor, Cameron, Hummel.

Skegness have a cup game away at Ollerton next week.

Boston 5

Skegness 2nd XV 5

SKEGNESS 2nd XV secured a draw against arch-rivals Boston despite playing two men down for most of the game.

Injury and work commitments left Skegness with a bare 15 at the start.

Early pressure from Skegness saw them take the lead. Desperate defending by Boston resulted in a penalty to Skegness for illegal hands in a the ruck. The captain who opted to take the scrum and number nine Lucas tapped the ball over the try line. The conversion was missed to make it 5-0 to the visitors.

But the tables soon turned, and injury blows to Dobson and T Santine within the first 15 minutes hindered Skegness’s hopes of adding to their tally.

With no substitutes on the bench, this meant Skegness would play the next 65 minutes with only 13 men on the pitch.

Strong tackling from Bignall, M Santini, Harley, and Mitchell forced the home side to use the wind to their advantage.

And after kicking themselves time after time into the Skegness 22, it seemed only a matter of time before Boston’s pressure would overcome the visitors.

With 25 minutes gone, an unconverted try was scored by the home team to level at 5-5.

The next 55 minutes would end pointless, as an amazing 13 man Skegness bullied their way to a memorable 5-5 draw.

On the evidence of this performance, Skegness can look forward confidently to what will be a difficult campaign.

Skegness 2nd XV: R Linell, T Farnsworth, D de la Fontaine, A Ongley, A Spears, Dillan de la Fontaine, D Fairburn, K Dobson, P Lucas, S Bignall, T Santine, R Cameron, M Santine, T Mitchell, R Harley.