Changes provide spark for opening day success

Stamford College 1st XV 3

Skegness 1st XV 20

SKEGNESS travelled to Stamford College for the first competitive game of the season, and it was a harsh wake up call for the new captain and his men as they were thrown into the first round of the Lincolnshire Cup.

The Skegness team started strongest but were only 3-0 at half-time.

Halliday and vice-captain Jackson made some positional changes in the second half.

The effect was almost immediate, as Divilly cut a line through the home side’s defence and found Mawer out wide, and the fullback reached over to score the opening try.

The blue and whites then defended valiantly after Jenkins was sin-binned, and they held out Stamford until he returned before conceding three points as Stamford kicked a penalty in front of the posts.

Skegness scored again as quick ruck ball from Johnson’s run and forwards pod work allowed Farnsworth to find Halliday, who popped a flat ball to Divilly who ran untouched to score. Halliday converted to make the score 3-15.

Jenkins then atoned for his early indiscipline by scoring a strong, jinking, unconverted try in the corner.

Skegness 1st XV: Lancaster, Cook, Brian, Holliday, Hill (Hanson), Parker, Johnson, Taylor, Farnsworth, Halliday (capt), Jackson, Divilly, Jenkins, Smith, Mawer, Sub (Pearson).

Chesterfield Panthers First XV 5

Skegness First XV 3

THE Panthers were the livelier team in the opening quarter and the Skegness back row was kept busy.

A momentary lapse in concentration from Skegness allowed the opposition to break the defensive line and crash over to score the game’s only try. The conversion was unsuccessful, making the score 5-0 to the home side.

Skegness began to take the game to the opposition. The constant pressure eventually reaped rewards, and Skegness won a penalty. Cameron calmly slotted the ball between the posts to make it 5-3 at half time.

The second half began where the first finished with both teams battling hard up front to secure good quality ball.

A coming-together between two players saw both teams having a player sin-binned, but both defences held firm throughout this period.

Chesterfield’s number eight then received a straight red card for dangerous play. Skegness tried to make the man advantage count and with two minutes to go, Jackson managed to break away.

He popped a pass out to Jenkins who bolted down the wing to score a try, but victory for Skegness was to be denied as the referee called play back for a forward pass.

Next week, Skegness face coastal rivals Cleethorpes at home. Kick off at 3pm.

Skegness first XV Team: T Hill (Linnell), Cook, Frost, Holliday (A Hill), Hanson, Pearson, Johnson, Jackson (capt), Farnsworth, Pollock, Paul, Taylor, Jenkins, Cameron, Mawer (Pearson).