Bike ace Hickman secures podium finishes at the North West 200

Hickman on the podium.
Hickman on the podium.

Peter Hickman registered a second, third and fourth, plus 12th and 15th place finishes, in his five races at the North West 200 last week.

It was only his second time at the Northern Ireland annual races, which he missed last year as he was sidelined through injury, so to produce such good results is even more special.

Thursday’s Supersport race didn’t go to plan though as he ran on during the first lap so lost the tow from the leaders and ended up 12th.

The Supertwin had a clutch problem so Hicky pulled out at the end of the second lap.

But the race was red flagged as he went over the line and he was therefore given a finish of 15th.

Hicky recorded his first podium finish at the NW200 by taking third place in the Supersport race on Saturday.

Riding the Trooper Beer, Iron Maiden Kawasaki he actually finished in fourth place but Lee Johnston was penalised 10 seconds and Hickman was elevated to third.

He said: “That was a brilliant result especially as I am over six foot and way heavier than Alistair Seeley, who weights about four stone wet through.

“But the bike has been really good and handles mega.”

Because of delays on Thursday the first Superstock race was moved to Saturday, meaning Hicky would have six races to contest.

But international road racing rules dictate riders can only compete in five races on the day so because of contractual reasons he opted to withdraw from the Supertwin race and concentrate on the bigger bikes.

Next up was the Superstock race and Hicky was on the Speedfit GBmoto machine.

He began the race from the front row and as the lights went out he was second away taking the lead at the roundabout first time around.

The race was stopped on the third lap and restarted to run over five laps.

Hicky got away to another good start and was third, remaining with the leaders tucked in behind Ian Hutchinson.

He passed Hutchy on lap two and was only 0.2s behind the leader as they started the third lap.

He nipped through to take the lead at the roundabout on the drive out of the corner.

But he found himself pushed back to third and then to fourth on the run to the line to start lap four.

Still in the leading group, Hickman was in fifth place for most of the fourth lap but on the final lap he made it through to fourth and when Seeley missed his braking point he took the advantage and moved through to second which he held to take his personal best result of the week.

In the Superbike race, Hicky began his assault from the middle of the second row and was up to third as the race got underway.

There were six riders all challenging for the lead throughout the race with Hicky in a very close fifth place on lap three.

He moved up to fourth one lap later but once again the red flag brought the race to an early end with Hicky placed in fourth.

Unfortunately due to a fatality in the Supertwin race the rest of the meeting was abandoned so Hicky’s final two races were cancelled.

The Lincolnshire rider now turns his attention back to the British Superbike championship, taking place at Brands Hatch this weekend.