Video: Skegness United 3, Swineshead 1

UNITED made two changes from the side which defeated Boston United the previous week.

Danny Steadman and MaCauley Parker were both unavailable for selection so were replaced by Kurt Crossley returning after injury and Neil Thorpe.

Man of the match Miles Chamberlain in action.

Man of the match Miles Chamberlain in action.

Swineshead started the game on the front foot taking the game to United, however on four minutes it was United who had the first sight of goal when Paul Watts shot wide.

The next action came on 10 minutes when Dan Fox shot wide for Swineshead.

Then on 20 minutes both Arron Scutt and Kurt Crossley had shots blocked by visiting keeper Bradley Murrell.

The first clear cut chance came soon afterwards when Crossley split the Swineshead defence for Jack Wightwick to run onto and with only keeper Murrell to beat he shot a foot wide of the post.

Then Callum Hyland had a shot saved under the bar by Murrell from a clever Wightwick pass.

A quickly taken free kick by Danny Stevens on the edge of the Swineshead area was only just wide following a foul on Wightwick.

United were now taking control and had shots from Watts twice and Hyland which were either saved by Murrell or wide of the target.

With half time approaching Miles Chamberlain had a shot turned round the post by Murrell meaning the sides went in level after a disappointing first 45 minutes.

At the start of the second half Joe Harris replaced Jack Wightwick and the United changed their shape to try and get a grip of the game.

Within 10 minutes of the second half United took the lead when from an Andy Reeson corner which Miles Chamberlain powerfully headed home, despite the visitors defence attempting to clear, the linesman judged the ball had crossed the line to the delight of the home supporters.

Ben Drysdale was then introduced replacing Neil Thorpe. Crossley was only inches away from a second when heading just over from a Reeson corner when he should have done better.

United scored their second on 65 minutes when interplay on their left side resulted in Scutt laying the ball to Callum Hyland who turned on the edge of the box and fired his shot pas Murrell into the bottom corner of the net.

Joby Gowsall then replaced Crossley with Miles Chamberlain moving into the attack alongside Paul Watts. After a rampaging run down the left Drysdale was inches over the bar with a shot.

Then missed a guilt edged chance when Miles Chamberlain inexplicably shot against the Swineshead post from three yards with the goal at his mercy and the rebound fell to Hyland who’s shot went over the bar.

At this point the game was only going one way towards the Swineshead goal, however United could not add to the total.

Swineshead got themselves back into the game with seven minutes to go when Richard Barker took advantage of some poor defending from the home side and placed a nice shot from 15 yards into the United goal.

However this was short lived when three minutes later Drysdale played a fantastic through ball for Arron Scutt to run onto and his cool finish from 10 yards left Morrell with no chance and made the game safe.

Another valuable three points for United despite not being at their best by any means.

Joint Manager Mark Hallam said: “The first 45 minutes is the poorest we have played this season but we improved after the interval and we will take three points at the moment no matter how it comes about.”

TEAM: Ben Pritchard, Dan Stevens, Neil Thorpe (Ben Drysdale), Jordan Walden, Miles Chamberlain, Callum Hyland, Andy Reeson, Arron Scutt, Paul Watts, Jack Wightwick (Joe Harris) and Kurt Crossley (Joby Gowshall). Unused Subs: Sean Chamberlain and Kyle McGuigan; Man of the Match: Miles Chamberlain; Match Sponsor: ALLCars; Match Ball Sponsor: Venue Wedding & Party Specialists.

United travel to Park Avenue on Wednesday night to face Louth Town Reserves for a 7.45pm Kick Off before returning to Wainfleet Road on Saturday where they entertain third placed Grimsby Borough Reserves, who inflicted United’s first ever defeat back in September. Kick off is at 3pm.