United take hard fought home win

United's Luke Durdey on the ball against CGB Humbertherm in their 2-1 home win. EMN-140812-145741001
United's Luke Durdey on the ball against CGB Humbertherm in their 2-1 home win. EMN-140812-145741001

Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 2

CGB Humbertherm 1

Skegness United came into the game on the back of an excellent team performance in their draw against rivals Skegnesss Town the previous week.

An anwkward Humberthem side were United’s opponents at the weekend, who they had not beaten in three attempts so far this season.

In the early stages the visitors were quick to close United down and prevent them from playing their passing game with a very physical approach.

United full-back Luke Durdey was causing problems down the left and from one cross Craig Richie in the visitor’s goal had to save low down.

On 22 minutes Kurt Crossley broke down the left, however he was crowded out before being able to get in a cross or shot and the ball was cleared.

Four minutes later Luke Rayner-Mistry picked up the ball just outside the United area and went on a run, beating two players, but once again the visitors were able to crowd him out.

United were having all of the possession but lacked that final pass to open up Humberthem’s resolute defence.

United finally went in front on 28 minutes with a great team goal when Michael Forman played the ball out to Luke Durdey, who in turn played the ball to Arron Scutt.

And when his teasing cross came in Sean Chamberlain bravely beat Richie to the ball and headed home.

United went in at half time with a deserved lead although had passed up several chances to add to that lead.

United should have increased their lead on 52 minutes when Scutt played in Rayner-Mistry, however his shot lacked power and was saved low down by Ritchie.

Humbertherm’s Daniel Trott, who had been lucky not to have been booked several times in the first half, went into the referee’s notebook on 55 minutes after an off-the-ball incident involving Sam Sleight.

Three minutes later United increased their lead when a cross from the right by Chamberlain into the visitors’ six-yard box was inadvertently knocked in by Liam Wilkinson, back for an own goal.

On 60 minutes Trott had a half chance but was over the bar with his shot.

However, moments later he was fortunate to be on the field after another wreckless challenge on Rayner-Mistry that went unpunished.

United were in complete control of the game, still looking to increase their lead.

However, with just a minute left on the clock Daniel Trott was allowed to brake free for the visitors to score, giving the visitors hope.

A minute later the visitors won a free kick on the edge of United’s box and, from the resulting kick by Joe Burns, home keeper Chris Snaith made a spectacular save to secure the three points.

Manager Mark Hallam said: “We should have had this game wrapped up by half time but we were not ruthless enough in the final third of the pitch. We must learn to kill games off when dominating possession if we want to be in the mix for silverware in May.”

Team - Chris Snaith, Ross Muirhead, Luke Durdey, Sam Sleight (Josh Clarke), Kyle McGuigan, Alex Tittcomb, Arron Scutt, Sean Chamberlain, Luke Rayner-Mistry, Michael Forman (Corey Cunliffe), and Kurt Crossley.

Man of the Match - Aaron Scutt

On Saturday (December 13) United are away to Louth Town Reserves and the following week (December 20) away again to Horncastle Town.