United’s narrow defeat away at league leaders

Travis Portas.
Travis Portas.

Lincolnshire League

Sleaford Town Reserves 1

Skegness United 0

Skegness United travelled to Lincolnshire League leaders Sleaford Town Reserves, looking to build upon the previous week’s win over CGB Humbertherm.

However, they found themselves on the receiving end of a narrow 1-0 defeat at the Eslaforde Stadium.

James Cole returned to the starting line up after completing his suspension, along with Michael Howard.

For the first 15 minutes of the match it was United who looked the higher-placed side and won a number of free kicks in the home side’s half.

However, they could not take advantage.

It was 20 minutes before we had the first clear chance of the match when Sleaford’s Jack Padley was played through, but Travis Portas was quickly off his line to clear with his legs.

Then in the next minute Nathan Thompson had a half chance, however he shot wide of the target.

The best chance to date for United came on 35 minutes when Danny Reid picked up a through ball, but could not control it on the uneven surface and, when his final shot came in, he was wide of the goal.

With half time approaching Sleaford took the lead in unfortunate circumstances for United.

Portas cleared his line but could not get any distance and the ball was returned by Shaun Popple, his strike clearing everyone and settling into the net.

Within five minutes of the re-start the home side came close to increasing their lead.

A shot from outside the area by Jasper Caudwell was tipped onto the bar by Portas.

After this the second half began to develop as most of the first with the game centred on the midfield area.

Although the home side were seeing more of the possession, any balls into the United area were dealt with by Portas in the visitors’ goal.

As the half progressed United began to see more of the ball, but could not make inroads into the home sides defence.

The nearest United got to a goal during the second half came in the last 10 seconds.

Following the ball bouncing around the area it fell to Reid whose shot was under keeper Smith. However, he gathered it on the line.

The officials waved play on as, in their opinion, the whole of the ball had not crossed the line.

UNITED: T. Portas, J. Portas, Howitt, Simpson, Cole, Bull, Cunliffe, Hobbins, Kendrick, Howard, Reid.

Man of Match: Alex Simpson.

On Saturday United host Cleethorpes Town DS in the Lincs League (KO 2pm).