United maintain winning streak

Share this article

Lincolnshire junior cup,

SKEGNESS United were looking for their eighth victory on the trot when they entertained Spilsby Town, from the Boston premier league, in the third round of the Lincolnshire junior cup.

United made six changes to the team which defeated local rivals Skegness Town so convincingly last week, with McCauley Parker, Joe Harris, John Courtney, Andy Hallam, Josh Bartlett and Kyle McGuigan all coming into the starting line-up,

From the kick-off, United took the game to Spilsby but it took 15 minutes before Tuplin, in the Spilsby goal, had to make his first major save, when he held onto a Kurt Crossley shot after a Reeson free-kick.

The next action was again in the Spilsby penalty area, when Tuplin saved well from 16-year-old Kyle McGuigan, who had ghosted into the box.

United were causing no end of problems to the Spilsby defence with raids down both wings – Andy Hallam and McCauley Parker on the left and Andy Reeson and John Courtney on the right – linking well and causing havoc.

However, United could not find the opening goal, with either the final pass letting them down or Spilsby’s dogged defence clearing their lines.

On 25 minutes, Tuplin made an excellent save from a rasping Courtney shot from just outside the area.

United continued to attack and Josh Bartlett’s shot found its way through the Spilsby defence but unfortunately hit the base of the post.

Spilsby were being restricted to isolated attacks which caused no problems to Martyn Margarson in the United goal.

The final action of the opening half came when a Crossley flick over the Spilsby defence sent Bartlett clear, but Tuplin saved his shot.

The sides went in level at half-time, with United wondering how they had not got onto the score sheet.

United started the second half on the attack and were rewarded after two minutes when they won a free-kick 25 yards out.

On his first start for the club, Andy Hallam stepped up to take the free-kick and his sweetly struck left foot shot found the top corner of Tuplin’s net to open the scoring.

Spilsby’s only real effort on goal came after 65 minutes when Reeson lost possession in the United half, allowing Spilsby in on goal, but Barker shot wide of the post under pressure from Walden.

Spilsby came more into the game as the second half wore on, but Margarson still did not have a direct shot to save for the second week on the trot.

Jordan Walden and Ben Davison were imperious at the back in front of Margarson, ably supported by Reeson and the returning Parker, helping United record their fourth clean sheet in the last five games.

On 72 minutes, Kyle McGuigan slid a great ball through to Josh Bartlett who broke free of the Spilsby back line and on trying to round Tuplin was brought down in the area but the keeper escaped any punishment from referee Crozier to the bemusement of the United followers.

Bartlett confidently stepped up to take the penalty and sent Tuplin the wrong way from the spot to make it 2-0 and book United a place in the next round.

United made two changes with 12 minutes to go when joint-manager Jason Callaby and Ben Drysdale came on for Joe Harris and McCauley Parker, but there was no addition to the score line.

Skegness United: Martyn Margarson, Andi Reeson, McCauley Parker (Ben Drysdale), Jordan Walden, Joe Harris (Jason Callaby), Ben Davison, John Courtney (Arron Scutt), Kyle McGuigan, Josh Bartlett, Andy Hallam, Kurt Crossley; subs not used, M Hallam, Watts.