United lose composure as red card turns game

Skegness United's George Hobbins (right) under pressure from Rasen skipper Joe Osbourne.
Skegness United's George Hobbins (right) under pressure from Rasen skipper Joe Osbourne.

Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 2

Market Rasen Town 3

Following last week’s excellent performance which saw league leaders Sleaford Town Reserves held to a draw, Skegness United were looking to take the three points against Market Rasen, who sit two places below them in the league.

However, it was the away side who left with the points.

The only change in the United starting line-up was Michael Howard, in for the injured Danny Reid.

Returning to the squad was Kyle Howitt, who had been out a number of weeks injured.

It was Rasen who started the brighter side and, after a slow first 15 minutes, they took the lead.

Following a corner, United failed to clear their lines and central defender Lewis King placed his shot into the far corner, wide of Travis Portas.

Two minutes later a chance came the way of Harry Ginniff, whose shot was only half saved by visiting keeper Dale Christie.

Following this, United began to find their feet and traffic was all one way towards the Rasen goal.

On 38 minutes, United finally drew level.

Following a George Hobbins free kick, the ball was blocked in the Rasen area, however Tom Pickett was quickly onto the ball to fire high into the net past Christie.

United went in a half time level, however feeling confident they could press on in the second half.

Within four minutes of the re-start United were close to taking the lead when Howitt, on for Alex Kendrick, placed a perfect ball into the area and Christie produced an excellent save from Ginniff’s header.

Two minutes later another good flowing movement by United saw the ball come out to Jake Portas, who produced another excellent save from Christie.

On 65 minutes United took the lead when a powerful run by Hobbins saw him brought down in the area by Matthew Rutherford.

From the resultant spot kick Jake Portas fired home.

At this stage of the game it was all one-way towards the Rasen goal, and Christie had to bring off a couple more good saves.

But with 15 minutes to go, the game turned to Rasen’s advantage when Tom Pickett was shown a red card, and penalty awarded on the advice of the assistant referee, who said Pickett had punched a player.

Joe Osbourne placed his shot well wide of Portas.

From this point United seem to lose their composure, and Rasen came more into the game.

With eight minutes to go the away side scored what would be the winning goal.

The visitors were awarded a free kick on the right, and when the kick came in King was at the far post to score his second of the match.

United pressed to level the score in the final minutes, but it was not to be.

UNITED: T. Portas, J. Portas, Wetton, Gray, Paul, Howard, Kendrick (Howitt), Cunliffe, Ginniff, Pickett, Hobbins; Subs (not used): Simpson, Ashwell.

On Saturday both the United sides are away.

The first team make the journey to Brigg Town Reserves (KO 3pm) and the Development side are away at Manby (KO 2pm).