United into the cup semi-finals

The latest local sports news.
The latest local sports news.

Skegness retruned to action with a 2-2 draw at Sutton Rovers in the East Lincs Combination League’s Division Two Cup Group B.

United topped the group, and will now face Chapel Swifts in the semi-finals.

It turned out to be match of two halves with United on top in the first and Sutton coming back to take the second.

The visitors went close to taking the lead in the first minute when a back pass missed the home keeper and the ball rolled out inches wide of the upright.

United controlled most of the game during the half, however they could not find the final pass to open up the home defence.

The nearest United came was when the home keeper brought of an excellent save to deny Ryan O’Loughlin.

Arron Nurse was always a danger up front for Sutton and McGuigan and Simpson had to keep a close eye on him.

United went in front on 30 minutes when Zak Bray broke down the right, beating three players before playing the ball to John Courtney to slot home from the edge of the area.

On 40 minutes United went 2-0 up when, from a free kick floated in by Sam Sleight, a home defender headed the ball into the net giving his keeper no chance.

Minutes from half time Sutton got themselves back into the game when they were awarded a penalty when Arron Nurse was brought down.

He pulled himself up and sent Jack Minor the wrong way from the spot.

Sutton started the second half looking to get themselves level and, for the first 25 minutes, they had control of the game and United were finding it difficult to string passes together.

During this period they drew level with a well-worked goal with some neat passing resulted in a good finish from 12 yards.

United felt they should have had a penalty themselves when Bray broke free and was bundled off the ball, but the referee waved play on.

From a free kick from O’Loughlin was only inches wide of the post.

With 15 minutes to go Conor Minor came into midfield and United began to take more control of the game, although Sutton were still dangerous on the break.

The game ended with United taking the point to top the group, and then found out they would be playing Chapel Swifts in the semi-final, with Sutton playing Ludford in the other.

UNITED: J. Minor, Lyall, Reid (Hayes), McGuigan, Simpson, Sleight (C. Minor), Bray (Hayes), Mansell, Grainger, O’Loughlin, Courtney.

Man of Match: Kyle McGuigan.