United hold the league leaders

Action from Skegness United's draw with Sleaford Reserves.
Action from Skegness United's draw with Sleaford Reserves.

Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 1

Sleaford Town Res 1

Skegness United held Lincolnshire League leaders Sleaford Town Reserves to a 1-1 draw.

Last month United were narrowly pipped 1-0 by the Greens’ second string, but at Wainfleet Road they went one better and claimed a point.

United were without four defenders for the fixture with Ross Muirhead, Alex Simpson, James Cole and Kyle Howitt all out injured.

Jake Portas moved into the central position with Alex Kendrick filling in on the right.

The game kicked off in light rain and on a heavy pitch.

United started on the front foot in the first minute when Danny Reid sent Harry Ginniff down the right, and when his cross came in a defender managed to clear before Reid could make contact.

The first direct shot at goal came on 15 minutes but the Sleaford man could only fire straight at Travis Portas in the home goal.

Five minutes later the visitors took the lead when a shot from 20 yards out by Nathan Thompson struck the inside of the post and settled into the net.

Then a slip by the United defence let in Sleaford, however Portas made a good save at the expense of a corner.

Following an excellent attacking move on 35 minutes, Corey Cunliffe’s shot appeared to be heading for the top corner of the net, but in the last few yards curled wide of the post and Sleaford maintained their advantage.

Somehow it remained 1-0 at the break as United continued to pile on the pressure.

Reid won a challenge with the visitors’ goalkeeper Alex Smith and defender Reece Skinner.

But with an open goal five yards in front of him Reid’s shot managed to hit the underside of the bar and then the post before the ball was cleared.

A back pass beat Smith, however a defender running back cleared off the line before, on the stroke of half time, a free kick by United hit the post and the following up by Nathan Wetton flew over the bar.

Within two minutes of the re-start United drew level.

After the ball was won in midfield it found its way to George Hobbins, who attacked the defence and his disguised shot beat Smith and found the corner of the net.

From a Sleaford free kick on 58 minutes Portas was called into action as he tipped the shot over the bar.

At the other end a free kick from brother Jake caused confusion before Tom Pickett’s shot went over the bar, while Cunliffe’s strike rattled the woodwork from 25 yards out.

With the game entering the final 10 minutes Sleaford began to put pressure on the United goal as they went in search of victory.

However, Portas only had to make one good save before the final whistle.

New manager Neil Morgan praised the team’s attitude and commitment, adding the team spirit was built on and off the field of play.

UNITED: T. Portas, Kendrick, Wetton, Gray, J. Portas, Paul, Cunliffe, Hobbins, Reid, Pickett (Wright), Ginniff.

Man of Match: Corey Cunliffe.

On Saturday United host strugglers Market Rasen Town (KO 2pm).

The Development side will return to East Lincs Combination League action following three weeks without a match when they travel to Louth Old Boys Vets (KO 1.45pm).

In the evening the club are hosting a race night at Churchills, beginning at 7.30pm.