United hit seven in nine-goal thriller

Football News.
Football News.

Grimsby Borough Reserves 2 v 7 Skegness United

United were without Jordan Walden, Adam Broom and Ryan O’Loughlin but still produced there best performance of the season against Grimsby Borough reserves.

The match kicked off and the first half chance came to United after two minutes when from a Jordan Smith free kick Andy Appleby was just wide with his header. Three minutes later United had another free kick after a foul on Kurt Crossley, however Smith was well over the bar with his rising shot.

Borough’s first effort on goal came after 9 minutes but the shot was easily saved by Ben Smith. On 20 minutes United took a deserved lead when a right wing cross by Josh Bartlett found Crossley, who mishit the ball, and it fell to the impressive Luke Rayner-Mistry who side stepped his marker and fired low into the corner to make it 1-0.

United went two up on 30 minutes when a right wing cross from Smith found Michael Howard at the far post. He controlled it well and his shot squirmed under Evensen’s body to double United’s lead.

Grimsby were gifted a way back into the game on 38 minutes when a catalogue of errors in the United defence led to the ball finding its way to Jamie Glover on the edge of the area who gave Ben Smith no chance with his shot. United restored their two goal advantage with half time approaching when Bartlett played a delightful through ball down the right side for Kurt Crossley to run onto who finished brilliantly for his first goal of the new season.

The half time whistle went shortly afterwards with United good value for their lead.

Within one minute of the restart United put the result beyond doubt when a ball was played out to Man of the Match Luke Rayner-Mistry who completely bamboozled the full back before getting to the bye line. He then showed great awareness to pick out the run of his skipper Kurt Crossley who clinically fired home from 10 yards.

Three minutes later Ross Muirhead replaced Andy Appleby.

On 54 minutes Crossley had a chance to score his hat-rick when his curling shot over Evensen crashed against the crossbar and bounced to safety.

The home side’s first clear chance of the second half came on 60 minutes when United failed to clear their lines, and the ball fell to a Borough player whose shot was saved low down by Smith. Within a minute United had increased their lead when a cross by the marauding Nathan Wetton sailed into the far corner of the net giving the keeper no chance. Arron Scutt then replaced Jordan Smith.

United hit the woodwork again from a Howard header and shortly afterwards Scutt was just wide of the post when he should have done better. Grimsby pulled a goal back when a misplaced pass in midfield was not dealt with by the United defence and Gary Nimmo went on to place his shot past Smith.

On 70 minutes United increased their lead when Ben Smith’s accurate kick out found that man Luke Rayner-Mistry who unselfishly played in Arron Scutt and he made no mistake from 12 yards.

United scored number seven on 85 minutes when Rayner-Mistry was again the creator laying the ball into the path of Andy Reeson who hit a sweet shot from 20 yards. The visitors still had time to increase their lead when Crossley played in Howard who hit the post with his shot. When the final whistle went United had secured a much deserved three points with a solid all round team performance.

Team: B Smith, Bartlett, Wetton, Appleby (Muirhead), Howard, Skinner, Reeson, McGuigan, Rayner-Mistry, J Smith (Scutt) and Crossley.

Man of the Match: Luke Rayner-Mistry.

United’s next match will be on Saturday October 5 against Skegness Town at Burgh Road. Kick Off 3pm.