United draw after last minute drama

Football News.
Football News.

Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 2 v 2 CGB Humbertherm

United were unchanged from the previous week at Boston and despite the persistent rainfall the pitch was in good condition and held up well throughout the game.

The match kicked off and United had an early chance from the kick off when a low ball into the visitor’s area was just missed by Luke Rayner-Mistry and the ball was cleared.

Within a minute from a United free kick just outside the area, Danny Stevens hit the crossbar and the ball fell kindly into the arms of Humbertherm keeper Dan Harrison.

United then forced a corner and Sean Chamberlain was just over the bar with his header.

United were controlling the game despite Humbertherm looking dangerous on the break and on eight minutes Rayner-Mistry shot over when well placed from another corner.

It was 12 minutes before the visitors made inroads into the United’s final third and their forward was flagged off side.

Shortly afterwards United had their best chance to open the scoring when a ball from Andy Reeson was misjudged by the visitors defence for Kurt Crossley to run onto, however he scuffed his shot wide of the post when he should have at least tested the keeper.

On 17 minutes Humbertherm had their first clear chance of the game, when a ball in from the right was met by Carl Martin 10 yards out who scuffed his shot wide.

The visitors were beginning to get more into the game, and Ben Martin had to be alert to tip over a shot from Daniel Trott.

On 27 minutes another chance went begging when Rayner-Mistry miscued his shot and it sailed over the bar.

One minute later Humbertherm took the lead against the run of play when from a free kick the ball was headed out for a corner by United.

From the resulting corner the ball was headed back into the home six yard box were Jack Barley was unmarked to head home from close range.

On 35 United had another half chance when Ryan O’Loughin played the ball to Rayner-Mistry who’s cross was headed against the post by Crossley.

United went into the break 1-0 down.

At the start of the half Sam Sleight replaced O’Loughlin and United went straight onto the attack, looking to level the scores.

United were pressing hard, however the ball would not drop their way, or the visitors managed to get bodies in the way to block shots.

On 60 minutes Ross Muirhead replaced Jordan Smith.

On 65 minutes United finally levelled the score, when following a scramble in the visitors defence, and Harrison had made two point blank saves, Crossley was brought down.

From the resulting spot kick, Danny Stevens sent Harrison the wrong way with an excellent finish.

United were in the ascendency once again as Harrison had to make a double save on 70 minutes from Kyle McGuigan and Sean Chamberlain.

On 78 minutes Crossley laid the ball back to Rayner-Mistry who shot high over the bar when he should have scored.

With the game drawing to an end Humbertherm had their best attacking period of the half, and each occasion Daniel Trott was forced out wide by Stevens resulting in Trott’s shots being well off target.

The game was two minutes into added on time when United dramatically took the lead which was no more than they deserved.

A ball into the visitor’s area by Crossley was not cleared fully by the defender and the ball fell to the returning Ross Muirhead who emphatically shot past Harrison to score and spark rapturous celebrations from the home players and supporters.

There was still a sting in the tail for United though as with only seconds remaining, Wetton played the ball back to Martin, who miscued his clearance and when the ball was played back into the area Daniel Trott was on hand to knock the ball home from close range to steal a point.

Manager Mark Hallam said: “It’s very hard to take and feels like a loss after dominating the game from start to finish. To be hit with a sucker punch with the last kick of the game because we didn’t kill the game off shows how cruel football can be sometimes and to be honest it’s been the story of our season. What I did see from our boy’s performance in the 2nd half and also in the changing room after the game is just how much it did hurt after knowing we had let our supporters down. We can only hope this could be the turning point in our season as we go into the County Cup Quarter final next week at North Somercotes.”

Team: Ben Martin, Andy Reeson, Nathan Wetton, Sean Chamberlain, Danny Stevens, Jamie Skinner, Jordan Smith (Ross Muirhead), Kyle McGuigan, Luke Rayner – Mistry, Ryan O’Loughlin (Sam Sleight) and Kurt Crossley.

Man of Match: Nathan Wetton

Next Saturday (11th January) United are away to North Somercotes United in the Quarter Final of the Lincs Junior Cup. Kick Off 1.30pm.