United defeated in Supplementary Cup

editorial image

Supplementary Cup

Skegness United 1

Wyberton FC 4

Skegness United kicked off their Supplementary Cup campaign with a 4-1 home defeat to Wyberton.

The Group A contest kicked off in perfect conditions for football and the first action came on four minutes when United won a corner.

However, the resulting kick saw the ball bouncing around the visitors’ six-yard box, but no United player could take advantage.

The first direct shot on goal came from Wyberton on 10 minutes, but the shot was easily gathered by Travis Portas in the home goal.

The game progressed with the visitors seeing more of the ball, without causing any real problems to Portas.

The first sight of goal for United came on 30 minutes when, from a free kick, Troy Lonslow got goal-side of his marker.

However, his header was wide of the post.

At the other end, from a Wyberton corner, the ball hit the face of the crossbar before being cleared.

The nearest either side came to scoring was when Wyberton’s Curtis Revell broke down the right and his perfect cross was met by Lee Orrey, but he could only direct into the hands of Portas.

Fraser Bayliss then tried his luck but shot wide of the Skegness post.

Wyberton took a 39th-minute lead when an unmarked Revell made his way into the United penalty area and slotted his shot across Portas.

Seconds later and Ross Muirhead had to leave the field injured, and be replaced by Alex Kendrick.

Wyberton were 2-0 up before the break as Chris Shipley found the net.

United had the perfect start to the second half as Louis Saebe played in Harry Ginniff, who fired home into the corner from 12 yards.

The next 15 minutes saw United have the upper hand but without causing any problems to Martin Louth in the visitors’ goal.

Wyberton came close to increasing their lead on 60 minutes when a hard drive came in and Portas had to punch clear.

But with 20 minutes to go, Wyberton struck again as a cross from the right was not cleanly collected by Portas and Jamie Elston was on hand to knock the ball home.

United’s best chance since their goal was on 82 minutes when Danny Reid was sent clear, only for his chip over Louth to fall wide.

With the final whistle approaching Wyberton scored number four from the penalty spot.

Shipley fired home after Corey Cunliffe caught an opponent.

UNITED: T. Portas, J. Portas, Howitt, Gray, Muirhead (Kendrick), Cunliffe, Scutt, Hobbins, Ginniff, Saebe, Lonslow (Reid).

United are without a game this Saturday.