United cement grip on second

Skegness United 3, Nettleham 1

UNITED got their league clash at home to Nettleham off to the perfect start.

Andy Hallam whipped in a great free kick from the right and Jordan Walder forced it home to leave keeper Meade with no chance.

Nettleham were coming more into the game but were restricted to long range efforts which did not trouble Margarson.

The visitors almost equalised just before half time as a good ball into the box by Buckley was headed against the bar by Wallace with Margarson stranded.

It would have been harsh on United who deserved their half time lead.

The first action of the second half came from Nettleham when a break down their right resulted in the Bowden firing just past Margarson’s far post.

United then almost doubled their lead when Watts chased what looked a lost cause and managed to play the ball into the box as the defender tried to shield it out of play. Crossley’s header at the front post brought a fantastic reaction save out of Meade.

On 50 minutes United finally increased their lead when Andy Reeson delivered a great ball into the box from the right hand side and it was bravely headed home by Callum Hyland.

United were now on the front foot and from another deep cross from the right Walden headed against the bar.

When the ball was played in again by Crossley it found Arron Scutt who just cleared the bar with his shot over Meade.

On 65 minutes, United went three up when Nettleham’s defence failed to cut out a through ball from Crossley to Andy Hallam, who went on to round the visiting goalkeeper and place the ball into the empty net to the delight of the United supporters.

At this stage Nettleham appeared to be out of the contest.

But on 70 minutes Tom Moore picked up the ball just inside his own half and carried the ball unchallenged to the edge of the United area before cutting inside onto his favoured right foot and firing past Margarson to reduce the deficit.

A few minutes later and Margarson had to be at his best to tip a Moore shot onto the foot of the post.

The goal clearly galvanised Nettleham and from a free kick they thought they had scored their second goal, however, the forward was standing in an off-side position.

Nettleham continued to look for another goal but the United defence of Stevens, Walden, Gowshall and Thorpe were holding firm.

United could have increased their lead on a number of occasions with counter attacks from Atkinson, Wightwick and Crossley but the final ball appeared to let them down.

The win sees United consolidate their position in second spot in the Lincolnshire League table.

“With emotions high we are just delighted to pick up a well-earned three points against a very good Nettleham team,” said United’s joint manager Mark Hallam.

“The desire and determination to react to last week’s first home loss were there for all to see and I’m very proud of all the players today.”

UNITED: Martyn Margarson, Danny Stevens, Neil Thorpe, Jordan Walden, Joby Gowshall, Callum Hyland, Andi Reeson, Andy Hallam (Jack Wightwick), Paul Watts (John Atkinson), Arron Scutt (Kyle McGuigan) and Kurt Crossley. Unused Subs: Jamie Skinner and Jason Callaby.

Man of the Match: Jordan Walden

l This Saturday, January 21, United are away to Ruston Sports. Kick-off at 2pm.

Skegness Town, meanwhile, are away at Heckington United in a 2pm kick-off.