Under-strength Town beaten by classy Boston Utd reserves

Danel Reid who won the penalty which resulted in Skegness's only goal of the afternoon which Liam Papworth slotted home.
Danel Reid who won the penalty which resulted in Skegness's only goal of the afternoon which Liam Papworth slotted home.

Boston United Reserves 5, Skegness Town 1

A FIRST half hat-trick from striker Korey Dyer-Stewart helped dump Skegness Town out of the Challenge Cup at the Jakemans Stadium.

Without the likes of the injured Troy Lonslow and the unavailable Jake Akers and John Courtney, Town laboured against a well-drilled Pilgrims team.

But for 30 minutes they more than matched the amber and blacks. The home side had been kept very quiet until the half hour mark, when a classy individual goal from Dyer-Stewart edged them in front.

The impressive striker still had plenty to do when he gathered the ball on the edge of the penalty area. But with a sharp turn of pace, he pierced the defence and buried his shot into the bottom right hand corner.

Town had already been on the receiving end of United’s lethal strike-force in the league and they certainly didn’t need to give them a helping hand, like the second goal in the 35th minute.

Emery seemed to be caught by surprise at his near post and, despite managing to keep the ball out, he was beaten by Dyer-Stewart to the rebound.

There was worse to come for the Lilywhites. Some of the crowd had left their seats to beat the tea bar queues when Chris Nicholls upended Dyer-Stewart as he threatened to complete his hat-trick. Nicholls escaped with a yellow card, but Joseph French slotted home the spot kick.

Two minutes into added time Dyer-Stewart grabbed his third by beating the offside trap and prodding home past Emery.

The visitors were soon on the defensive again and Scott Dawson’s shot was inadvertently blocked on the line by team-mate Dyer-Stewart.

But the seasiders gradually settled and reduced arrears with 15 minutes left when Reid was pulled down in the area.

Liam Papworth buried the penalty into the bottom corner.

Any slim hope of a late fight back were extinguished with five minutes to go when Charlie Sanders wrapped things up with the fifth goal.

Town’s joint manager Gary Edgley said: “We were disappointed with the result, but I don’t think the scoreline reflected the game.”

Boston United Reserves - S Vince, Thompson, Price, Steadman, Dawson, Sturman, Ogden, Butler, Sanders, Dyer-Stewart, French, Kitta, Gardner, Eyett, N Vince.

Skegness Town - Emery, Nicholls, Critchlow, Davison, Gowshall, Parish, Reeson, Papworth, Reid, Mansell, Hardy, Bee, Parnham.

On Saturday Skegness travel to Nettleham in the league (kick-off 3pm).