Town’s double over horncastle

Wade Hurst (left) in possession against Horncastle in the county cup.
Wade Hurst (left) in possession against Horncastle in the county cup.

Lincolnshire Junior Cup

Skegness Town 3

Horncastle Town 0

The fifth round of the county cup beckons for Skegness Town after they completed a league and cup double over Horncastle Town at Burgh Road.

The seasiders had already beaten the Wongers in the Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League on the opening day of the season in August.

And in a match spoilt by a swirling wind and tricky conditions underfoot, the Lilywhites came out on top to progress into the quarter-finals of the Lincs Junior Cup.

The cup tie had been brought forward at the request of Horncastle, who had previously vacated the original date, December 12, to accommodate their Christmas celebrations.

Lilywhites boss Nick Chapman added Miles Chamberlain to the squad that beat champions Hykeham the previous week, but Arron Scutt was missing, due to injury.

Jamie Epton was also unavailable.

Ashley Bentley took over between the sticks for the suspended Michael Emery.

It was difficult for both sides in such blustery conditions and Bentley had to be on his toes to deny the visitors in the early stages.

But it was at the other end that the deadlock was broken.

Less than 10 minutes in, Ben Davison took advantage of a mistimed clearance from Horncastle keeper Liam Smith and rolled the ball into an empty net.

The Lilywhites then spent the next 15 minutes inviting pressure from their opponents by struggling to clear their lines.

A series of free kicks around the edge of the Skegness penalty area threatened to draw the scores level, but Bentley smothered an Oliver Johnson set play that was deflected off the defensive wall.

Any concern in the Skegness ranks was eased in the 25th minute when the visitors gift-wrapped the seasiders’ second goal.

A corner from the right from McCauley Parker cleared brother Liam at the near post and keeper Smith and Dave Marshall conspired to divert the ball over the line.

That was how it remained at the break, Skegness with a comfortable, if unconvincing, lead thanks to two early Christmas presents.

The second half was only five minutes old when Skegness increased their lead.

Luke Rayner-Mistry, who had teased the visiting defence all afternoon, skipped past a number of challenges on the edge of the Horncastle penalty area.

Just when it looked as though he was going to shoot, he dinked a cross to the far post where Britton rose to head home.

This really was laid on a plate for the Lilywhites’ front man.

But it was Britton’s last involvement in proceedings.

Minutes later he was red carded after a coming together with Marshall, which left the Horncastle defender lying on the floor.

Britton was stunned by his dismissal and maintained his innocence.

It is likely that an appeal against the decision will be made.

Despite being reduced to 10 men the Skegness threat continued.

Smith pulled off saves to deny Chamberlain’s direct free kick and Wade Hurst’s strike.

TOWN: Bentley, Warren, M. Parker, Bartlett, Chamberlain, L. Parker, Hurst, Davison, Britton, Smith, Rayner-Mistry, Veall, Shelley.

On Saturday the seasiders are at home to Brigg Town Reserves in the league (KO 2pm).