Town romp past 10-man united

Josh Bartlett is put under pressure from Corey Cunliffe.
Josh Bartlett is put under pressure from Corey Cunliffe.

Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 0

Skegness Town 5

Skegness Town grabbed the bragging rights with a 5-0 victory over rivals United at Wainfleet Road.

And it could have been worse for the home side, who finished the game with 10 men, had the Lilywhites taken their chances in the last 20 minutes.

Indeed, having turned round at the break with a one-goal advantage after playing the first 45 minutes into a strong wind, the visitors took just seven minutes to increase their lead.

And 10 minutes later they were five goals in front.

Courtney Warren headed home their second goal after 52 minutes, adding to Liam Parker’s sixth-minute opener.

A minute later Luke Rayner-Mistry swept home the third as his former club struggled to stem the tide of raids on their goal.

The fourth goal came from the penalty spot. Referee Ian Weston spotted an infringement as the ball was lifted into the United area, which saw James Cole booked.

Josh Bartlett made the spot kick count at the second attempt. His first effort was saved by keeper Travis Portas and Jordan Smith smashed home the rebound, but the officials ordered the penalty to be retaken, this time Bartlett planting the ball into the opposite corner.

United were on the ropes and their troubles got worse when Cole was shown a second yellow for a two-footed lunge on Arron Scutt on the edge of the box.

They suffered a further blow in the 69th minute when Ben Davison rose to glance home Wade Hurst’s cross from the right.

Ten man United dug deep, but they had some great stops from keeper Portas, coupled with some poor finishing, to thank for the scoreline remaining 5-0.

One point blank save to keep out a Rayner-Mistry header at the far post was first class, while Bartlett came closest to increasing the lead when he crashed a further chance against the outside of a post.

A free kick from Ginniff 10 minutes from the end was the highlight of United’s efforts on the Town goal, but it was gathered by the visiting stopper.

The three points consolidated Town’s third place in the table.

Meanwhile, this defeat leaves United fourth from bottom going into the Christmas break.

UNITED: T. Portas, Cole, Howitt, Gray, J. Portas, Cunliffe, McGuigan, Hobbins, Ginniff, Saebe, Reid, Simpson, Minor.

TOWN: Emery, Warren, M. Parker, Scutt, Chamberlain, L. Parker, Smith, Davison, Britton, Bartlett, Rayner-Mistry, Hardy, Epton, Hurst.