Sutton Rovers Reserves 3, Burgh Town 4

Football News.
Football News.

East Lincs Combination - Division Three

Burgh Town got back to winning ways after a close fought encounter at Sutton Rovers Reserves.

Town welcomed back club captain Arun Gray, Herbie Nicholls and experienced defender Andy Corrsen into their ranks. Injuries and unavailability had caused their absences since the beginning of the season.

Town started on the front foot and Charlie Carter gave them an early lead, stabbing home from close range after Mitch Tipper and Josh Whittam had worked their well rehearsed short corner down the left.

Both teams tried to play some football, but as the rain beat down and the ball skipped about on the sodden surface it was sometimes difficult to control. Mistakes were inevitable.

Sutton got back on level terms when Burgh’s defence got in a muddle. The speedy home centre forward nipped between defenders Gray and Shaun Wathall to equalise.

Town then hit back and striker Josh Whittam ended his barren run with two goals in quick succession before half time.

He cut in from the left and found the bottom corner with a trademark finish and then capitalised on a goalkeeping error. As the ball ran under the keeper’s foot from a back pass, the grateful Whittam was on hand to tap into an empty net.

Injury forced the early departure of the unlucky Ryan Beresford, who was replaced by Nicholls.

As half time approached Jordan Houlston was unlucky to see his header rebound off the crossbar after good work down the left by Lanzetta.

The second half saw Burgh virtually capitulate as Sutton scored two identical goals. Town’s defence appeared to part like the Red Sea, allowing the Sutton strikers a free run and shot at goal, and enabling them to level the score at three apiece.

Keeper Ben Taylor was also called upon to make a couple of smart saves, keeping his team on level terms.

Andy Corrsen and Jason Scutt were then introduced to the action to try and shore up a leaky defence.

As Burgh changed shape Nicholls pushing into a more familiar holding midfield role, allowing Carter, Josh Lindley and Dan Field to play further up the park, in behind the two strikers.

This paid dividends as Corrsen, Carter and Whittam combined down the left, the latter squaring the ball into Lindley’s path for him to crash home a spectacular winner from the edge of the box and give his team all three points with virtually the last kick of the match.

Burgh: Taylor, Beresford, Tipper, Wathall, Gray, Field, Lindley, Carter, Lanzetta, Whittam, Houlston, Nicholls, Scutt, Corrsen.

Match day sponsors Red Lion, Burgh and Malc Holmes Block Paving.

On Saturday Burgh travel to Tetney in the Cup (kick-off 2.30pm).