Sleaford Town Reserves 1 Skegness Town 5

Football News.
Football News.

They say that revenge is a dish best served cold, but the Lilywhites took just seven days to put right the home defeat suffered at the hands of Sleaford’s second string.

Still smarting from the 1-0 reverse inflicted by Steve Garfoot’s side, the seasiders bounced back with a five-star showing at Eslaforde Park.

Hero of the day was Jake Gibson, who grabbed four of the goals to keep Skegness in the mix at the top of the table.

His clinical finishing took his tally to eight from four appearances and straight to the top of the team’s goalscoring chart.

Sleaford’s defenders, who frustrated Gibson at Burgh Road with their well-executed offside trap, had no answer this time round and the seasiders picked them off at will.

In truth, they should have been out of sight by half time, but the Lilywhites conceded a 40th minute goal from the previous week’s hero Ian Maplethorpe to keep the home side interested.

Before that unpredicted reduction in arrears Gibson had pierced their defences on 14 and 28 minutes.

The first was a ball lofted over the home defence by Michael Hardy, which he ran onto and slotted past another of the previous week’s heroes, Garry Doran. Skipper Ben Davison threaded the ball through to Gibson for his second and the game looked to be over.

But Maplethorpe’s strike gave Sleaford hope, especially as they had the prospect of playing the second half with the strong cold breeze on their backs.

The busy Casey Kemp replaced Maplethorpe at the interval and he started to spray the ball around to keep the seasiders on their toes.

But Skegness defended well to restrict the home side to just one serious shot, which Josh Smith easily dealt with.

At the other end Liam Papworth’s right footed volley was pushed away for a corner by the outstretched Doran and when Gibson broke clear again he was thwarted by a Doran tackle ten yards outside of his penalty area.

But the striker didn’t have long to wait for his hat-trick. This time it was Jack Cotton who provided the defence-splitting pass, which he gleefully fired past Doran to give the seasiders the breathing space their dominance deserved.

Aaron Shelley replaced McCauley Parker after 75 minutes and, with his first touch, stung Doran’s fingers with a powerful drive.

Cotton produced the visitors’ fourth with a looping header in the 81st minute.

In the dying minutes a neat nutmeg on the edge of the penalty area by Papworth set up Gibson for his fourth on what was a very satisfying afternoon for the seasiders.

Skegness Town: Josh Smith, Andy Parish, Jamie Epton, MIchael Hardy, Jack Cotton, Liam Parker, Daniel Cobb, Ben Davison, Jake Gibson, Liam Papworth, McCauley Parker, Aaron Shelley and Josh Clarke.

On Saturday Skegness Town are without a fixture, with six of their squad involved with the Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League representative squad in the quarter-finals of the national FA Inter-League Cup. The Lincolnshire League take on the Humber Premier League at Lincoln United’s NTR Stadium (kick-off 3pm).