Skegness United suffer defeat against Sleaford

Mark Hallam
Mark Hallam

Lincolnshire League

Skegness United 0

Sleaford Town Res 3

Skegness United had to make changes from the previous week’s match at Cleethorpes, with Luke Rayner-Mistry and James Steed moving to Louth, and Chris Snaith to Goole Town.

The first action of the game, which saw Jack Welbourn make his debut, came from United’s Mark Hallam when he floated in a free kick, however no-one could make contact and the ball went out for a goal kick.

The visitors’ first raid on the home goal came on 10 minutes from Harry Ginniff, who broke down the United right and when his cross flashed across the six yard area there was no one following up.

Four minutes later Ginniff was again in the action when he got in front of Alex Tittcomb but his header was wide.

It was Sleaford who were the first on the score sheet after 16 minutes when a ball into the United area was hit first time by Oliver Sidney into the corner of the net.

After the goal United had a couple of raids on the visitors’ goal. However, they came to nothing.

On 23 minutes a half chance came United’s way after visiting keeper Garry Doran failed to gather a free kick. However he managed to collect at the second attempt.

Another United free kick on 28 minutes saw Tittcomb get in a clean header, but Doran saved on the line.

For the next 15 minutes the game settled down. Then with minutes remaining of the half the visitors increased their lead. Following a corner the ball hung in the air around the six yard box before Dan McNamara got the final touch.

United started the second half more positive and won a number of free kicks which were dealt with by the visitors’ defence. There was no real action until the 60th minute when Sidney was shown a red card for a foul on Arron Scutt, who had to leave the field to be replaced by Corey Cunliffe.

Then minutes later with Sleaford down to 10 men they increased their lead. A cross from the right was met at the far post by Jonathan Twentyman who gave Elliott Clark in the home goal no chance.

For the remainder of the half United tried to get back into the game with a number of crosses coming in from the left by Luke Durdey. However, there was no one able to get on the end of them.

The nearest United came to scoring came in the final minute from another Durdey cross to Josh Clarke who turned the defender - however, Doran saved well.

United: Elliott Clark, Ross Muirhead, Luke Durdey, Alex Tittcomb, Kyle McGuigan, Sam Sleight, Arron Scutt (Corey Cunliffe), Jack Welbourn, Josh Clarke, Mark Hallam and Rhys Mansell.

On Saturday United are at home to Cleethorpes AKP (kick-off 2pm).