Skegness United Reserves overcome Coningsby FC

editorial image
Share this article

Skegness United Res 5

Coningsby Fc 2

With Skegness United’s first team match called off late on Saturday morning against Grimsby Borough Reserves, due to them being able to raise a side, attention moved to the reserves’ match at Wainfleet Road against Coningsby FC.

As with the previous two Saturdays, strong wind affected playing conditions.

Playing against the wind, United started the match playing the more controlled football, keeping the ball on the ground, and took a deserved lead on 15 minutes.

A cross from the right was only half cleared to Luke Rayner-Mistry, who scored with a left foot shot from 12 yards.

Coningsby were coming more into the game with the wind at their backs, however they found it hard work against the United back line.

Coningsby’s first real effort on goal was tipped over expertly by keeper Elliott Clark.

Then Corey Cunliffe made a good run down the United left beating two players before his cross was cleared for a corner.

With a minute of the half left, the visitors drew level when, after Clark had turned away a goal bound shot, the ball was returned into the area where a forward was unmarked to knock home from five yards.

The second half began and United started on the front foot, however they could not find the final ball to re-take the lead.

Coningsby where finding it easier to play against the wind rather than with it, however they could not penetrate the United back line.

On 68 minutes United moved into the lead when Howard chased down a ball on the left and put a cross in which was laid back by Rayner-Mistry to player-manager Sam Sleight to score from 10 yards.

United made three changes in a short space of time, bringing on Tom Pickett, Matt Charles and Jordan Houlston for Corey Cunliffe, Michael Howard and Michael Forman.

On 80 minutes United finally scored number three when a cross from Rayner-Mistry was excellently finished by Tom Pickett.

Shortly afterwards, the visitors reduced the lead when they broke down the United left, and their number eight placed his shot across Clark into the far corner of the net.

United’s Tom Pickett pounced on an opportunity and scored his second of the game with another excellent finish to ensure all three points went to United.

Jordan Houlston netted United’d fifth in the dying stages with a header.

Manager Sam Sleight said: “I’m really pleased with the way we tried to play football in difficult conditions today.

“The young players are developing with each game and will have learnt a great deal playing with a few more experienced players.”

Team: Elliott Clark, Charlie McLening, Luke Durdey, Kyle McGuigan, Mark Chamberlain, Sam Sleight, Corey Cunliffe (Tom Pickett), Ross Muirhead, Michael Howard ( Jordan Houlston), Michael Forman ( Matt Charles), and Luke Rayner-Mistry.

On Saturday, Skegness United’s First team will return to action away at Cleethorpes Town Reserves (KO pm).

The Reserves are without a fixture.