Skegness United defeated 
two-nil in home cup clash

Kyle McGuigan.
Kyle McGuigan.

Supplementary Cup

Skegness United 0

Cleethorpes Town DS 2

Skegness United were playing the first of two matches against Cleethorpes in Group A of the Lincolnshire League’s Supplementary Cup.

But ahead of Saturday’s return fixture, Cleethorpes Town Development Squad drew first blood with a 2-0 win at Wainfleet Road.

United were without Troy Lonslow, Ross Muirhead and Louis Saebe, with Alex Kendrick, Michael Howard, James Cole and Dominic Murray-Parris coming into the squad.

The match kicked off with a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch, which United had behind them in the first half.

United won a corner in the opening two minutes, but it was finally gathered by the visiting keeper Simon Krawczyk.

The first real effort by either side came on eight minutes when Town’s Caine Winfarrah fired well wide of the target when well placed.

For the remainder of the half United had more of the play but could not force a clear opening to trouble Krawczyk.

The best opportunity for the home side was a free kick taken by Harry Ginniff which hit the defensive wall.

United went in at half time in the knowledge they had not made the best of the wind, and that Cleethorpes would have a lot more of the ball in the second period.

The first real effort of the game came in the fifth minute of the second half, which resulted in the opening goal.

Town’s Sam Walker had a shot turned away by Travis Portas, only for the loose ball to be knocked home by Matthew Degale.

Three minutes late Winfarrah hit the post for the visitors before the ball was cleared for a corner.

Cleethorpes then went 2-0 up when centre back Simon Ballard scored when picking up a loose ball in the box and firing home.

On 75 minutes, Dom Goddard appeared to be tripped has he raced clear of the visitors’ defence, but the official thought otherwise.

A minute later a well-taken free kick by Jake Portas found Ginniff wide on the left and when his centre came in there was no one on hand to take advantage.

With 10 minutes to go, Cleethorpes were awarded a penalty when Travis Portas brought down a player on the edge of the area.

From the resulting spot kick Winfarrah hit the crossbar before the ball was cleared.

Cleethorpes were deserved winners and made better use of the wind in the second half than United in the first.

UNITED: T. Portas, Kendrick, Cunliffe, Paul, McGuigan, Gray (Howard), Murray-Parris (Cole), J. Portas, Goddard, Ginniff, Reid.

Man of Match: Kyle McGuigan.

On Saturday, United travel to face Cleethorpes Town DS in the return group match (KO 2pm).