Skegness United 4 Scunthonians 2

Ryan O'Loughlin being brought down by an over zealous Scunthonians player.
Ryan O'Loughlin being brought down by an over zealous Scunthonians player.

United entertained the Scunthorpe based side in bitter conditions in the third round of the Lincolnshire FA Junior Cup on Saturday.

The Scunthonians made a few hard challenges early on - including a two-footed over the top tackle by their number nine that could have had a red card but was only punished with a yellow.

Luke Rayner-Mistry was again United’s main attacking threat and he skipped past the full back repeatedly.

United took the lead on 18 minutes when Rayner-Mistry again danced past three tackles before playing in Josh Clarke who fired in from 10 yards. Three minutes later and United had doubled their lead when an in swinging corner from O’Loughlin was met by Jamie Skinner, who converted from close range.

United seemed to sit back a little after the second goal and from a corner they conceded a soft goal to let the away side back into the game.

On the stroke of half time the United defence again were unable to deal with a corner and the visitors forced the ball home to make it 2-2.

After the interval, United came out with their ears still ringing after giving away two soft goals.

They produced their best piece of football of the match and kept possession of the ball from defence through to attack.

Finally Josh Clarke was put through and he fired home at the near post for his second of the afternoon.

United with their tails up then scored number four as O’Loughlin put Stainton through at the back post and he slammed the ball home.

The game then descended into controversy as the Scunthonians team made a series of shocking tackles.

After several tackles that were all bookable offences, the Scunthonians right-back was subbed to save him from the inevitable.

But his replacement did not last long on the field. With minutes to go, Kyle McGuigan tackled the away side’s substitute right in front of the home dugout and the Scunthorpe based player then kicked out at McGuigan, grabbing him by the throat and they were up in each other’s faces.

The players were quickly separated by players and management before referee Sleaford decided to send both players off to the dismay of the home crowd who had witnessed it all.

As the final whistle went, United were pleased to be through to the quarter finals and without any injuries from the game.

Manager Mark Hallam said: “Unfortunately the referee lost complete control in the second half and they treated it like a cage match rather than a football match

“We are pleased to be in the next round but more importantly we are pleased we have not picked up any injuries today”.

Man of the Match - Luke Rayner-Mistry

Team - Martin, Stainton, Muirhead, Skinner, McGuigan, Sleight, Walker (Crossley), O’Loughlin, Clarke (Nicholls), Rayner-Mistry, Howard. Sub not used - Hallam.