Skegness United 4, Horncastle Town 3

UNITED had the first chance of the match after four minutes when a ball over the visitors’ defence by Miles Chamberlain was collected by Kurt Crossley whose ball to Jack Wightwick was just too long.

On 20 minutes United opened the scoring when a long ball down the middle was collected by Paul Watts who then cleverly played in strike partner Kurt Crossley who’s shot found the corner of the net.

United were having the upper hand, but were unable to finish their chances until finally, in the 35th minute, they raided down the left through Parker. His ball found Wightwick who in turn laid it into the path of Paul Watts and he dispatched his shot wide of Jones into the corner for his 24th of the season in just 24 games.

It was not long before United had number three on the board with the move of the match. A great run down the right by Rayner-Mistery ended with a brilliant cross that found Watts. He unselfishly laid the ball off to Crossley who gave Jones no chance from 10 yards with a sweetly struck half-volley.

With half-time approaching Horncastle got their name on the score sheet when a cross from the right was cleared to Carl Smith on the edge of the area who gave Pritchard no chance with a shot into the top corner to make the score 3-1.

At the start of the second half, Horncastle were having more of the play with the wind at their backs but without creating any clear cut chances.

On 55 minutes United made a double change with Ben Drysdale and Arron Scutt coming on for Michael Hardy and Luke Rayner – Mistery.

Within minutes Crossley beat two defenders in the box and when his shot was blocked the ball ran loose to Drysdale who hit the crossbar when it was easier to score.

On 65 minutes Horncastle reduced the arrears again when United failed to clear their lines and Jacob Wilson found the net between the post and Pritchard.

With 82 minutes on the clock Kurt Crossley completed a memorable hatrick. After showing good foot work in the box, he then placed his shot past Jones to make him the Lincolnshire League’s top goal scorer for the 2011/12 season with 26 goals in 28 games.

Horncastle did not give up and in the final seconds a corner ball was knocked home by Chris Johnson after hesitancy in the home defence.

There was no time to restart the match. United had ended their league season with five straight victories in a memorable debut campaign.

Joint Manager Mark Hallam said: “We are delighted for Kurt who’s had a fantastic season and it’s a great achievement to finish as the league’s leading scorer with the quality of strikers currently in this league.”

Man of the Match was Kurt Crossley.

TEAM: Ben Pritchard, Luke Rayner-Mistery (Ben Drysdale), McCauley Parker, Jordan Walden, Kyle McGuigan, Miles Chamberlain, Michael Hardy (Arron Scutt), Sean Chamberlain, Paul Watts, Jack Wightwick (Mark Hallam) and Kurt Crossley.

Meanwhile, United will be running a “Coach to the Cup Final” on Saturday, May 19.

United will also host their first presentation evening on Saturday, May 26.

For details contact Secretary Dave Middlebrook on 07923 481484 or visit the club’s website at