Skegness United 4, Heckington United 0

Football News.
Football News.

United made four changes from the team that won at Nettleham with Joe Martin, Kurt Crossley, Arron Scutt and Andy Reeson all coming into the starting line up.

Heckington came into the game having beaten last year’s runners up Gainsborough Town and having shared the points with leaders Boston United Reserves in their last two outings - so a tough test was on the cards.

At the kick off there was a very strong wind blowing straight down the pitch to make life difficult, which the home side had to play into first.

However, with just under nine seconds on the clock the home side had taken the lead when Heckington were robbed of possession straight from the kick off and an inch perfect through ball by Arron Scutt split the visitors’ defence for Kurt Crossley to run onto and clinically place the ball past Terry as he advanced to open the scoring.

Although Heckington tried to respond it was United who were creating the chances. On eight minutes Scutt was played in, however his shot cleared the bar.

Another chance came United’s way when after Scutt was brought down the free kick from Danny Stevens sailed over the bar.

At this point Heckington were beginning to make use of the wind behind them, but on a number of occasions they were two long with their passes or the ball was going through to Martin.

On 35 minutes United had to replace Matt Hocking when he stretched in making a brave clearance damaging a hamstring in the process.

Michael Howard came on up front with Stevens dropping back to central defence. At half time United went in with a well-deserved one goal lead after a resolute team performance from all 11 players.

Within two minutes of the restart United increased their lead when the ball was punched out by Terry to the edge of the area and Jordan Smith was on hand to fire home high into the net. Two minutes later and Robertson had Heckington’s best chance of the game when he broke down the left and, as the impressive Martin came off his line, he fired wide of the far post.

United were in complete control and playing some football reminiscent of last season’s championship winning side.

On 66 minutes Reeson delivered a free-kick into the area and skipper Kurt Crossley got in front of his marker to send a brilliant header wide of Terry into the corner of the net for his second of the game.

Corey Cunliffe and Luke Durdey, making his first team debut, then replaced Jordan Smith and Ross Muirhead.

Terry was being kept busy in the visitors’ goal and with the game entering the final 10 minutes United got number four. A cross from the right was collected by Crossley who instead of shooting for his hat trick unselfishly laid the ball off for strike partner Michael Howard to fire home.

When the final whistle blew United were still pressing the visitors trying to add to their tally after arguably their best all round team performance of the season against a decent side.

Manager Mark Hallam said: “It’s been a long time coming but for the first time this season I can actually say we played like the champions.

“Our work ethic was epitomised by our captain who was deservedly named man of the match, but there were 14 players who gave everything for each other out there in horrendous conditions and we played some excellent football at times.”

Team: J Martin, Muirhead (Durdey), Reeson, Hocking (Howard), Stevens, Skinner, Scutt, McGuigan, Rayner-Mistry, J Smith (Cunliffe), Crossley. Man of Match: Kurt Crossley.

Match Sponsor: The Electric Centre. Match Ball Sponsor: New Era Gym.

Next Saturday United are at home to Sleaford Town Reserves with a 2pm kick off.