Skegness United 4, Boston United Reserves 0

SKEGNESS United climbed back to second place in the league after an excellent win over last year’s champions.

Boston started the match keen to make their mark with some rough house tactics, but the United players responded and played the better football in the early exchanges.

A large slice of luck handed the hosts an early lead on five minutes.

Mark Thompson played a back pass to his keeper, but under pressure from Watts it deceived Hewitt and found its way into the back of the net.

United doubled their lead on 15 minutes when a free kick by Danny Stevens halfway in the Boston half was cleared by their defence to Jack Wightwick on the Skegness right and he delivered a pinpoint cross over the defence for Jordan Walden to score with a diving header from 10 yards.

The game settled down after this and developed around the midfield with neither keeper being brought into action.

On 30 minutes Wightwick broke down the Skegness right and laid the ball back to Paul Watts who fired wide from 10 yards when he should have at least hit the target.

On 40 minutes Boston had their first real opportunity on goal, however it was hit wide off Ben Pritchard’s post by Sargeant.

With half-time approaching Danny Steadman was fouled as he charged through the middle of the field. However, the referee played an excellent advantage, which allowed Steadman to play a delightful ball that split the Boston defence for skipper Paul Watts to run onto.

Despite his first shot being blocked by Hewitt, Watts showed great composure on the follow-up to slot the ball into the corner and give United a three-goal lead.

In the latter stages of the second-half United made it four-nil.

An accurate free-kick by Andy Reeson on the Skegness right was played to Paul Watts at the far post.

Leaning back he expertly volleyed home across Hewitt into the opposite corner, however it did take a slight deflection off his other foot which left the keeper with no chance.

Joint manager Mark Hallam said: “I could not be more proud of our players after that performance.

“Boston came into this game having won seven out of their last eight games so for us to dominate them in that way is an absolute credit to our players.

“It was an outstanding team effort.”

Joint manager Jason Callaby added: “They are the current champions and our goalkeeper has not had one real save to make in 90 minutes.

“That says it all and being honest we should probably have had one or two more goals, we were that dominant”.

Team - Pritchard, Stevens, Parker, Walden, Chamberlain, Hyland, Reeson, Scutt (Hallam), Watts, Steadman (Harris), Wightwick (Thorpe).

Man of the Match - Scutt.

Match Sponsor - The Crown Hotel.

Match Ball Sponsor - Batemans Brewery.

Next Saturday United entertain Swineshead in the league at Wainfleet Road. Kick-off at 3pm.