Skegness Town suffer first league defeat


Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League

Wyberton 3

Skegness Town 1

Skegness Town suffered their first league defeat of the season when they travelled to Wyberton, who played the final third of the match with 10 men, writes Nigel West.

It was Wyberton’s 12th home game without defeat as they continue to influence the race for the Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League title.

Having beaten Skegness United and previously unbeaten Hykeham Town by the odd goal in three, they survived a penalty scare and a second-half onslaught to hang on to the three points against the champions.

Two first-half goals from Fraser Bayliss, in his first start for Wyberton, a penalty save from Martin Lowth and a last-gasp goal from substitute Curtis Yeatman, sealed the spoils for the home side.

Skegness got off to the perfect start with skipper Ben Davison opening the scoring after just three minutes.

But Bayliss equalised with a well-executed finish and as the half time whistle approached, he found the back of the Skegness net again to put his side in front.

The second half was dominated by the visitors, but Wyberton worked hard to defend their lead.

With Skegness keeper Ricky Lovelace largely a spectator, the visitors pressed for the equaliser and they were gifted a lifeline when former Lilywhite Dixon upended McCauley Parker in the box after 60 minutes. Dixon’s reaction to the decision by referee Richard King resulted in his dismissal.

It sparked a flashpoint with most of the players involved in the incident and a number of yellow cards issued by the official.

And when Andy Parish was eventually allowed to take the spot kick Wyberton keeper Martin Lowth dived to his right to push it away to 

Lowth’s heroics lifted the home side and inspired them to dig even deeper to thwart the Skegness attacks.

Poor passing on a difficult surface frustrated the seasiders. Despite enjoying the majority of the ball, they let themselves down in the final third.

Lowth helped to scramble away an effort from a grounded Liam Papworth and sub Daniel Reid failed to connect with his header at the near post.

Pushing for the equaliser Skegness left themselves exposed at the back and, deep into stoppage time, Yeatman broke down the right and calmly finished the game off with his fourth goal of the season.

l On Saturday, Skegness Town travel to third-placed Horncastle Town in the league (kick-off 3pm).