Skegness Town 1, Skegness United 2

Adam Cowdell and Troy Lonslow in action during last night's clash.
Adam Cowdell and Troy Lonslow in action during last night's clash.

THERE was extra spice added to this local derby with both sides unbeaten and sitting pretty at the top of the table.

But it was United who edged it to take the three points thanks to a first-half Jordan Walden penalty.

As expected, there was ten minutes of full bloodied tackles from the first whistle.

United dominated the early possession, but they were silenced in the 15th minute when a misplaced pass across their penalty area found Troy Lonslow, who calmly slotted the ball passed Ben Martin in the visiting goal.

United were rocked by the setback, but got themselves back on level terms when Ryan O’Loughlin fired a free kick into the top corner after 35 minutes.

There was further heartache for the Lilywhites just before the break when skipper Damian Howland tripped Luke Rayner-Mistry in the box. Keeper Shaun Robinson got his hand to Walden’s spot kick, but couldn’t prevent it nestling in the bottom corner.

Kurt Crossley, who before the game was presented with last season’s Golden Boot Award for finishing top scorer, had a goal disallowed for offside during a period of United pressure.

But it was Town who finished the stronger. United struggled to deal with the pace of Daniel Reid, who created a number of chances for teammates, but the home side failed to rescue the point despite some intense pressure.

Courtney Skeldon was inches away from an equaliser, but the keeper held the ball on the line and another Town effort was cleared off the line in the dying minutes.

Skegness Town: Robinson, Howland, Akers, Parish, Gowshall, Davison, Courtney, Hardy, Papworth, Lonslow, Reid, Skeldon, C Nicholls, Mansell, Clarke, Parnham.

Skegness United: Martin, Muirhead, Drysdale, Walden, Cowdell, Chamberlain, Scutt, McGuigan, Rayner-Mistry, O’Loughlin, Crossley, H Nicholls, Sleight, Walker, Stainton, Howard.