Reid all about it - Skegness Town defeat Horncastle

Danny Reid wheels away after scoring what proved to be the winner for Skegness Town. Nigel West
Danny Reid wheels away after scoring what proved to be the winner for Skegness Town. Nigel West

Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League, Skegness Town 2 Horncastle Town 1

Skegness Town continued their winning start to the season with three points against Horncastle at Burgh Road.

Daniel Reid’s late goal secured the win after the seasiders fought back from being behind.

Indeed, with the cushion of Michael Harness’ 46th minute goal, the visitors were looking the more likely winners.

But the Lilywhites upped their game for the last 20 minutes and stole the spoils after Liam Papworth had equalised and then Daniel Cobb whipped in an injury-time cross from the right for Reid to turn home the winner.

Skegness suffered a body blow before a ball had been kicked when Keiron Elliott failed a late fitness test. He was replaced by Michael Hardy on the teamsheet.

Manager Nick Chapman also had to shuffle his defence with Joby Gowshall replacing the unavailable Andy Parish.

Horncastle had an early change to make when Oliver Johnson limped off to be replaced by Jamie Lamming.

It was a niggly first half with both teams desperate not to allow the other the upper hand. Lincoln referee Jerzy Banasik was a busy man during a stop-start 45 minutes, but the half time whistle arrived without a goal.

Harness came closest for the visitors when he slotted the ball wide of the goal when well placed, while at the other end Horncastle keeper Lewis Burchnall spread himself to save a point blank McCauley Parker header with his left leg.

Richard Jackson was winning much of the ball for Horncastle in midfield and Scott Lowman mopped up any threat from the early direct football played by Skegness.

Will Britton posed the biggest problem for the visitors, with his pace testing their defence.

Nerves appeared to get in the way of Skegness defenders trying to clear their lines and there were a number of ping-pong moments in their penalty area during the first half.

The second half got off to an explosive start. Less than a minute in, a ball over the top of the home defence caught them by surprise. As they appealed in vain for an offside flag, they could only watch as Harness lifted the ball over a despairing Ricky Lovelace.

This wonder goal appeared to spark the visitors into life and they used the wind advantage to good effect, dominating for the next 15 minutes. But they failed to turn their chances into goals and gradually Skegness pulled themselves back into the reckoning.

They equalised in the 70th minute, when Reid, who had replaced Britton five minutes earlier, caused panic in the Horncastle defence. His header was only half cleared and Papworth swept home the rebound.

Chapman pushed Miles Chamberlain up the field in search of a winner, but shortly afterwards Gowshall pulled up, injured.

Ashley Murrell dropped into defence and Chapman introduced Cobb to the action, wide on the right.

These late changes added momentum to the Skegness surge and a last ditch block from Lamming denied Ben Davison. Stephen Brown cleared another Papworth effort off the line as the pressure built up.

At the other end it looked as though Skegness had been floored by a sucker punch when Carl Smith broke down the right and set up a tap-in for Tony Edwards, but the linesman ruled that Edwards was offside.

To add salt to the wound the seasiders scored the winner shortly afterwards. Cobb got round the back of the Horncastle defence and whipped the ball into the box, where it was met by the eager Reid. His first time effort gave Burchnall no chance.

On Saturday Skegness host Hykeham Town at Burgh Road (KO 3pm).

Skegness Town: Ricky Lovelace, Josh Bartlett, Ben Drysdale, Michael Hardy, Miles Chamberlain, Joby Gowshall, Liam Papworth, Ben Davison, Will Britton, Ashley Murrell, McCauley Parker, Daniel Reid, Daniel Cobb, Keiron Elliott.