Narrow loss as Wainfleet suffer cup exit

Willoughby Cup, round one

Old Leake 2

Wainfleet United 1

WAINFLEET United, of the Boston and district league division one were unlucky to lose by 2-1 away to Old Leake, leaders of the Premier League, in the first round of the Willoughby Cup.

There was no score at half time, with the visitors’ keeper Joe Perry making a couple of superb saves.

In the second half, Old Leake went 2-0 up before Wainfleet hit back and reduced the arrears when Michael Parnham scored a brilliant goal.

Man of the match for Wainfleet was Tom Bone.

Wainfleet: Joe Perry, Matthew Broome, Tom Bone (capt), Andy Carter, Richard Dennis, Alex Clarke, John Jeffries, Michael Parnham, Royston Wilkinson, Tom Jenkins, Dave Dent; subs, Phil Simpson, Bob Jackson, Lee Johnson.

Wainfleet are away to Wyberton this Saturday.

Skegness Town Reserves 3

Park United 2

TWO goals from teenage substitute Elliot Clark turned this cup tie on its head.

The Lilywhites took the lead against the run of play through Josh Whittam, but the visitors equalised just before the break.

Park then took the lead on the hour, before Clark came off the bench to clinch Town’s passage into the next round with two well taken goals in the last ten minutes.

On Saturday, Skegness Reserves entertain Kirton Town in the Boston league premier division at Burgh Road, with a 2pm kick-off.

Mid Lincs U12s C League

Welton FC 1

Swifts JFC 6

SWIFTS continue to soar high up the league table, following this win over Welton.

It took the visitors just seven minutes to take the lead with a chip over the keeper to the far post from Alfie Gregory.

Swifts pushed hard with reward as Marcus Neil flicked the ball in on the near post from a corner, striker Cameron Dunne found himself in space on the right hand side in his own half, and he punished the home team with his pace and finish to give Swifts a comfortable lead.

Welton started the stronger of the two sides at the restart and were gifted a early goal to make it 2-1.

Welton gave Swifts a hard time for the next 10 minutes and were camped in the visitors half but just couldn’t find the finishing they needed.

Swifts took control again and soon found their passing game,

Pavel Laurenov got his first goal of the season after a defensive mistake left him unmarked with an easy tap in from very close range, and Dunne soon got his second of the game when he calmly placed his shot pass the Welton keeper.

The visitors finished the game off with a 6-1 score line, when Swifts defender Connor Purdy smashed the ball home from another great corner.