Mablethorpe Athletic Reserves 2, Burgh Town 4

Football News.
Football News.

Burgh Town climbed to third in division three of the East Lincs Comination league with a 4-2 win over lowly Mablethorpe Athletic Reserves at Sherwood Road.

After a five week lay-off, Town soon got back into their stride with early goals from Max Foreman, who converted a well-rehearsed corner at the back post, and Josh Whittam who scored from a tight angle at the near post after a good interchange of play between Jack Solomon and Charlie Carter down the left.

Burgh took their foot off the gas after their excellent start and Ben Taylor was called upon to make a smart save to his right to tip the ball over the bar, and again saving with his legs as a Mablethorpe striker bore down on his goal.

Burgh then increased their lead when centre back Andy Corssen leapt highest at the far post to head home Solomon’s corner.

Mablethorpe then grabbed a lifeline on the stroke of half time. Town failed to clear their lines and a Mablethorpe striker was on hand to fire home from the edge of the box, giving Taylor no chance.

The second half was a fairly even affair and it was Mablethorpe who struck next as the tricky forward jinked his way past two Burgh defenders on the by line before firing past Taylor at the near post.

Town then introduced youngsters Albert Watson, Andrew Cheetham and debutant Ricky Wolsenholme to see if they could freshen things up.

It seemed to do the trick as Wolsenholme turned inside his man on the edge of the area and was unlucky to see his effort whistle inches over the cross bar.

Town then extended their lead following a move down the left involving the excellent Foreman, Watson and Carter. The latter rolled the ball back into the path of full back Mitch Tipper, who gratefully took his chance, smashing the ball home from just inside the 18-yard box to round off the scoring.

Despite their two-goal cushion Burgh did suffer a few nervy moments, after being reduced to ten men for the closing stages. Skipper Arun Gray limped off with a torn hamstring with 14 minutes left on the clock, but Burgh hung on.

Burgh Town: Taylor, Beresford, Gray, Corssen, Tipper, Scutt, Kilner, Foreman, Carter, Solomon, Whittam, Wolsenholme, Watson, Cheetham.