Lilywhites avoid banana skin for cup progress

Lincolnshire County Junior Cup

Sutton Bridge United 2

Skegness Town 4

SKEGNESS Town sidestepped the potential banana skin of Sutton Bridge United in the county cup, without breaking into a sweat.

The Lilywhites did just enough, and no more, to ease their way into the second round.

For the first 15 minutes, the Lilywhites threw everything at United and squandered a number of chances.

They also came up against Lloyd Raywood, a goalkeeper in inspired form, who thwarted Lee Orrey and Josh Whittam in particular with a string of fine saves.

Against the run of play, Skegness fell behind after 16 minutes. Lee Still burst clear down the right after springing the visitors’ offside trap and fired past Ashley Bentley in the seasiders’ goal.

Town needed to respond immediately, and this they did with a goal in the 18th minute, headed in at the far post by Mark Thompson after a neatly worked short corner.

Midway through the half, a great save from Raywood denied Josh Whittam from six yards, but Town went in at the break leading by the odd goal in three, after Orrey was put clear down the inside right channel, before finding the bottom corner of Raywood’s net with a fierce drive.

After the interval, Town went in search of a third goal and they seemed to have bagged it when Orrey left two defenders on the seat of their pants in the penalty area only to have the ball nicked from him by the brave Raywood.

The save seemed to inspire the rest of the home team and the pace of Still and strike partner Kent Scott started to cause problems for the visitors’ defence.

The strikers held their line well and Bentley, on more than one occasion, had to be alert to cancel out the danger like an extra defender. He was, however, relieved to see a glancing header from Scott miss his right hand post by centimetres.

At the other end, Josh Whittam was cautioned for a two-footed lunge after losing control of the ball.

Liam Papworth and Sam Sleight both had chances to increase Town’s lead, but the Lilywhites had to wait until 15 minutes from the end to make the tie safe.

Liam Papworth netted his third of the season, after the ball rebounded from Raywood’s body.

Substitute Michael Howard added a fourth in the 83rd minute, despite appeals from the home camp that he’d handled before scoring from close range.

In the dying moments of the game, slack defending allowed Ben Partridge to steal up from defence and nod home a long throw at the near post.

Skegness Town: Bentley, S Sleight, Thorpe, Tuplin, Thompson, Howland, Needham, Marshall, Orrey, Whittam, Papworth, Howard, Vickers.

Tonight, Wednesday, Skegness will return to league action with a trip to Louth Town Reserves’ Park Avenue ground, for a 7.45pm kick-off.

On Saturday, they are at home to local rivals Skegness United in the second round of the challenge cup, with a 2.30pm kick-off.

Skegness Town Reserves were beaten 3-0 by Swineshead Institute Reserves at Burgh Road on Saturday, when all three goals were scored in the second half.

Alford Town 2

Ruston Sports 5

STILL without a win in the league, Ruston Sports eased their way into the second round thanks to two goals apiece for Sam Coulson and Nicholas Phipps.

Harry Millard was the Lincoln side’s other scorer, while Johnson and Dixon were on target for the East Lincs Combination outfit.

Skegness United 5

Freiston 1

SKEGNESS United fell behind to a first minute Reece Coddington strike, before drawing level through Mark Hallam, and took a 2-1 lead into the interval thanks to a Michael Hardy goal.

Josh Bartlett’s penalty kick made it 3-1 early in the second half, before Hardy added a fourth.

Substitute John Courtney wrapped up the scoring with a couple of minutes to go.