Last Portas call! Jake earns United a last-gasp leveller

Jake Portas.
Jake Portas.

Lincolnshire League

Horncastle Town 1

Skegness United 1

A last-gasp goal from Jake Portas earned Skegness United a share of ther spoils at Horncastle Town.

United were hoping to build on the performance of the previous week, where they lost narrowly to Hykeham Town in the Challenge Cup semi-final.

One change had to be made to the starting line up with Alex Simpson coming in for the injured Harry Ginniff.

The match kicked off with a strong wind blowing straight down the pitch, and the home side made the more positive start with the wind at their backs.

After eight minutes they had a clear chance to open the scoring as United missed a through ball, but Travis Portas managed to get a fingertip to the strike and push out for a corner.

On 10 minutes United had their first chance when Danny Reid outpaced the home defence, however he could not get clear control of the ball and was crowded out before getting a shot on target.

James Gray had a shot which was saved low down by home keeper William Wood.

United began to get into the game after the early pressure from Horncastle, Reid causing problems to the home defence with his pace.

On 20 minutes he was played in by Gray but Wood came of his line to narrow the angle as Reaid fired wide of the post.

A long throw from Kyle Howitt into the home area saw Nathan Wetton manage to get his head to the ball, but it went straight into the arms of Wood.

When United failed to clear their lines Nadir Boulald got a shot in, but it was saved low down by Portas.

Then Reid broke down the left before his cross into the box was cleared for a corner.

On 38 minutes a long range shot from Horncastle’s Ben Fidling was over the bar.

United went in at half time level, and after restricting the home side to half chances they were looking to press on in the second half with the wind at their backs.

Skegness started the second half on the attack, but were hitting the ball just too long.

The visitors continued to attack the home goal, however they could not find the final ball to open up the Horncastle defence.

The home side still looked dangerous on breakalways and Portas had to be at his best on a couple of occasion to prevent Horncastle opening the scoring.

The home side took the lead on 75 minutes.

After breaking down the left the unmarked Chris Johnson collected the ball and fired his shot high into the net.

But as it appeared Town were going to claim the points, United levelled.

George Hobbins played a delightful ball to the far post where Jake Portas knocked the ball home from five yards out.

A minute later the final whistle blew, with United earning a point their performance deserved.

Referee Trevor Basker also put in an excellent performance.

UNITED: T. Portas, Kendrick, Howitt, J. Portas, Gray, Simpson (Paul), Wetton, Hobbins, Cunliffe, Gray (Nwokobia), Reid (Cole).

Man of Match: Travis Portas.