Grimsby Borough Reserves 1, Skegness Town 6

Football News.
Football News.

Skegness Town closed the gap on Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League leaders Boston United Reserves when they hit bottom side Grimsby Borough Reserves for six at Blossom Way, Immingham.

But the Lilywhites had to come back from behind to claim their 11th league win of the season.

Without key players Jack Cotton and Jake Gibson the Lilywhites were always going to find it tough against a side that had held Gainsborough Town to a draw in recent weeks.

But, despite a slow start, they dominated the second half to equal their best win of the season and lift themselves to third in the table, four points behind the leaders with four games in hand.

Only the frame of the goal prevented this being a much more convincing victory.

Andy Parish slotted in at centre back alongside Liam Parker and Josh Bartlett returned to the frontline to partner Liam Papworth.

The strong cold wind favoured the seasiders in the first half, but because of their lethargic start they found it difficult to penetrate the home defence on a sticky surface.

Indeed they had to wait 20 minutes for their first real chance of the afternoon. Ben Davison, Bartlett and Papworth plotted on the edge of the Grimsby penalty area to release Papworth into the box but his shot was easily gathered by Leigh Cook in the home goal.

Five minutes later a McCauley Parker shot was deflected inches wide of the angle of post and cross bar by a defender.

Borough struggled to deal with the resultant corner and Papworth was allowed a shot on goal, but again Cook was well placed.

The home side broke the deadlock in the 28th minute when hesitancy in the Town rearguard allowed David Deane to set up new signing Stefan Melin, who steered the ball home from 15 yards.

Their lead lasted just three minutes, with Liam Parker heading the Lilywhites level from a McCauley Parker corner from the right.

As if ignited by the equaliser, Town continued to press and Davison’s shot was deflected over for another corner.

In the 39th minute the visitors got their noses in front when McCauley Parker fired home from the corner of the 18-yard box.

But Town remained unconvincing and had it not been for a flying save from Richard Lovelace in the last minute of the half, Gary Nimmo’s fierce drive would have levelled things.

McCauley Parker’s second goal, set up by Bartlett just after the interval, settled the seasiders and killed off the home side.

John Courtney and Josh Clarke were introduced for the last 20 minutes and Town continued to dominate.

Almost immediately after coming on, Courtney rattled a post and then Clarke headed over after Davison stung Cook’s fingers with a fierce drive.

Clarke didn’t have long to wait for his first goal for his new club though. He turned the ball home through a crowded goalmouth in the 74th minute.

A minute later Jamie Epton stole into the Grimsby box to notch his first of the season with home defenders appealing in vain for an offside flag.

Town were unstoppable at this stage and it came as no surprise when Liam Parker grabbed his second of the afternoon in the 81st minute, following up after his header was saved by Cook.

Davison went close to making it seven, but saw his right foot shot rebound from the foot of a post across the Grimsby goal to safety.

Town manager Nick Chapman was pleased with the result, although disappointed to have conceded a goal.

“We started slowly and conceded a soft goal, which seemed to spark us into life,” he said. “We controlled the second half from start to finish.”

Chapman said he was pleased that Courtney had got another 25 minutes under his belt and he was also pleased for Josh Clarke, scoring his first for the club after coming on as substitute.

“It keeps us in the mix and sets us up nicely for the visit of Gainsborough Town to Burgh Road next week,” he said.