FOOTBALL: Skegness United progress in cup after win in extra time

Kyle Howitt providing good work at the rear for Skegness United. Photo: Stephen Willmer
Kyle Howitt providing good work at the rear for Skegness United. Photo: Stephen Willmer

Lincolnshire Junior Cup

Second round

Skegness United 4

Old Doningtonians 1

United started their journey in the Junior Cup with a second round match against Old Doningtonians from Division One of the Boston League.

The first effort on goal from either side came on seven minutes from a free kick for United, however Louis Saebe’s shot was well over the bar.

One of best chances of the game came to the visitors on 14 minutes when Ross Muirhead was caught in possession and Chris Grimmer had a clear run at goal, but Corey Cunliffe came in with an excellent tackle to clear for a corner. From the resulting corner the visitors took the lead when centre back Wayne Foster headed home.

The next minute a chance came the way of United when a cross from the right by Danny Reid was met at the far post by Troy Lonslow, however his header hit the side netting. At this stage of the game United had control and on 25 minutes Muirhead was just over the bar with a header from a corner.

A minute later United drew level when a through ball sent Saebe clear, however Jamie Dolby in the visitors’ goal beat him to the ball but sent it straight to Reid who placed his shot into the empty net.

United thought they had taken the lead two minutes into the second half when a cross by Harry Ginniff was knocked home by Saebe. After referee Webster had awarded the goal he then disallowed it on the advice of the visitors’ assistant referee.

Then on 50 minutes United had two chances to take the lead and on both occasions the ball was cleared from the goal line.

In a rare visitors’ attack, Travis Portas had to tip a shot over the bar. Then Hobbins from a free kick found Pickett whose shot was just over the bar. On 65 minutes from a Jake Portas free kick, Paul hit the top of the bar.

At this stage of the game the traffic was all one way towards the visitor’s goal, however United could not find the final touch. With the game about to enter extra time the visitors went down to nine men following a second yellow card and an injury.

United finally took the lead towards the first period of the extra time when Jake Portas blasted a free kick home from six yards.

United took total control in the second period with goals from George Hobbins and in the final minute from Tom Pickett.

United manager Gary Edgley said: “It was a good response from the lads to get level before half time. I thought we defended well and had plenty of possession, probably 75 per cent of the game. I’m hoping this result will give this young team a platform to build on and push on from here.”

Skegness United: T. Portas, Gray, Howitt, Cunliffe, Muirhead, Hobbins, J. Portas, Lonslow (Paul), Reid (Pickett), Sabe, Ginniff.

United are home to Brigg Town Reserves on Saturday, 3pm kick off.

l Skegness United Development side got back into winning ways when they visited Sutton-on-Sea Vets and came away with a 3-1 win. Goals came from Donnavon Bailey, Jamie Kilner and Jamie Wolsenholme.

On Saturday the Development side are at home to Holton United, 2.30pm kick off.