FOOTBALL: Skegness United concede three in Humbertherm defeat

Skegness United new signing gets in the action. Photo: Willmer Photography
Skegness United new signing gets in the action. Photo: Willmer Photography

Lincolnshire Premier League

CGB Humbertherm 3

Skegness United 0

Skegness United were away for the third Saturday in a row when they visited CGB Humbertherm, who to date had maximum points from their league programme.

Included in the home side line-up were former United players Danny Stevens and Callum Hyland.

The home side could have taken the lead in the second minute when a through ball found Stevens, however he was just over the bar with his shot.

United’s first effort on the Humbertherm goal came three minutes later when the ball was played out to Kyle Howitt whose shot went just over the bar.

After 15 minutes, it was United looking the better side with some nice touches in midfield, but it was the home side who took the lead on 23 minutes when Ryan Kirk was given too much room in the box and he shot across Travis Portas into the far corner.

The game continued with United having more of the ball and Troy Lonslow causing problems to the home defence with his runs. With half time approaching, Portas had to bring off two good saves within a minute to turn shots round the post for corners.

Within two minutes of the restart, the home side had a half chance to increase their lead when a misplaced pass by Jake Portas was picked up by a Humbertherm player, however after a run his shot was well wide of the target.

Another shot was well held by Portas in the home goal. Then from a United corner Alex Tittcombe saw his header cleared off the line. At this point of the game United were having their best spell and Louis Sae-Be made a couple of runs, however they came to nothing. The game was going end to end and Portas had to save when a ball came in from the right.

Danny Reid was played through, but he delayed his shot and the ball was smothered by Tom Hill in the home goal. Another chance came the way of Reid, but again his shot hit the keeper, and from the follow up Sae-Be also hit the keeper.

As in the first half it was the home side that scored the next goal. A long ball was chased down by Danny Stevens who controlled the ball and placed his shot pass Portas.

When Hill in the home goal dropped a cross Reid, following up, hit his shot into the keeper’s arms. His next effort from outside the area hit the cross bar.

The action went down the other end when Portas had to bring off a good save to deny the home side a third goal.

With the final whistle approaching the home scored their third goal. Another misplaced pass close to the half way line was gathered by Jordan Stratonb who had a clear run on goal. His first shot was saved by Portas, however he knocked home the loose ball.

Skegness United: T. Portas (MoM), J. Portas, Howitt, Gray (Paul), Tittcombe, Cunliffe, Hobbins, Lonslow, Ginniff, Sae-Be, Reid.

l Skegness United’s development side continued their excellent start to the season with a 4-3 win over Louth Old Boys Vets.

At half time they had a 3-1 lead with goals from Tom Pickett (2) and Dominic Murray-Parris. Then they lost their keeper Donovan Bailey to injury, and Louth came back to draw level.

With five minutes to go Josh Clarke scored the winning goal and the three points for United.

United DS entertain Alford Town Reserves at Wainfleet Road on Saturday, with a 2.30pm kick-off.