FOOTBALL: Ingoldmells Swifts race to first silverware of the season after comeback against Welton


The first piece of silverware of the season went to Swifts JFC after a remarkable second half recovery saw them defeat Welton 5-2 in the Jackson Workwear U18 Trophy final.

On a cold windy night the game set off at a very quick pace when in the first five minutes Corey Cunliffe broke clear of the Welton defence only for Oliver Clawson in the Welton goal to save well at his opponent’s feet.

The game then switched to the opposite end of the field and on eight minutes Luke Dobson found the back of the net to give Welton a 1-0 lead.

The lead only lasted two minutes though, Cameron White broke the offside trap only to be denied by Clawson, turning his goal bound effort away for a corner. From the resulting corner kick Marcus Leatherland popped up with the equaliser.

Welton then took the game to Swifts and were denied a second goal when Luke Dobson’s header was cleared off the line, but it wasn’t long before their pressure told when Tom Crowther finished well with a low struck shot to make it 2-1 to Welton.

The scoreline remained the same up to the half time whistle thanks to some good goalkeeping from Welton’s impressive Clawson.

The second half began like the first, very quick and full of action and Welton came close to increasing their lead through the dangerous Dobson, whose effort was heading into the net until a Swifts defender deflected it onto his own crossbar.

Jack Alexander then broke clear of the Swifts markers but was denied a goal scoring opportunity when an excellent last ditch tackle prevented him from getting in his shot.

Welton were left to rue these missed chances when Charley Mcleaning popped up with the equaliser for Swifts and then within minutes Cameron White was brought down in the penalty area, the striker picking himself up to convert the spot kick to give Swifts the lead for the first time in the game.

Minutes later Swifts made it 4-2 when White forced Clawson into making a good save only for Josh Clarke to pounce on the rebound and drive home to give daylight between the two teams.

With only 18 minutes remaining and Welton having to gamble getting men forward looking for a way back into the game, the pace of White again saw him break clear to finish in the bottom corner of the net to make it 5-2 to the Ingoldmells based side.

Credit must go to Welton though who never gave up and still tried to find a way back into the game when Elliott Knight’s header went the wrong side of the post and then at the opposite end Jon Charles had the chance to make it six, but Clawson once again showed his class with another good save before the final whistle.

The man of the match award went to Cameron White for his match winning performance but he was pushed hard for this honour by Oliver Clawson who had an outstanding game in the Welton goal.