Duo are dismissed as Town edge through

Sills and Betteridge

Lincolnshire League Challenge Cup round two

Skegness Town 3

Skegness United 2

SKEGNESS Town knocked neighbours Skegness United out of the Challenge Cup, despite finishing the tie with nine men.

Second half red cards for Michael Howard and Dan Tuplin gave the visitors hope of progressing in this competition.

But Town held firm and snatched a place in the quarter-finals with a late Lewis Cartwright strike.

Cartwright played through injury and 11 minutes from the end he took advantage of an error by goalkeeper Martyn Margarson and stabbed the ball home from close range.

As in the league meeting between these two sides, Howard received his marching orders for two yellow cards.

There was worse to come for the home side with Tuplin picking up his second yellow of the afternoon and being sent for an early bath with five minutes left on the clock.

Referee Mark Thomson also cautioned his namesake and Town defender Mark Thompson during a busy second half, but this wasn’t a dirty match.

United were on the back foot in the early stages, with Howard causing early problems for the heavily strapped Joby Gowshall.

Indeed, 13 minutes in, it was Howard who was floored by a sliding tackle in the box and Thompson stepped up to send Margarson the wrong way from the spot.

Midway through the first half, United suffered a further blow when Gowshall had to retire injured after stretching to counter Howard’s pace. He limped off to be replaced by Kyle McGuigan.

Town continued to put the visitors under pressure and Jamie Skinner was the next to pull up while dealing with the threat of Lee Orrey, and on came another former Lilywhite, Jason Callaby, as United shuffled their pack.

Gradually, United settled and home keeper Michael Emery was tested by an Arron Scutt drive from 20 yards.

The visitors forced a number of corners, but Town repelled the threat until four minutes before the break, when Kurt Crossley got round full back Craig Booth and fired into the top corner.

The equaliser triggered a difficult period for the whites, whose nervousness exposed their defensive frailties.

They fell behind on the stroke of half time when Callaby whipped in a dangerous cross from the right and Town skipper Damian Howland diverted the ball past his own keeper.

The setback could have seen the home side crumble after the break, but with the wind to their advantage they turned the game on its head.

Emery saved well from a Courtney header, but much of the second half was played at the other end, where Margarson was put to the test.

Town drew level after 58 minutes, when Daniel Cobb’s corner to the near post was guided home by the deftest of flicks from Liam Papworth.

Howard’s dismissal in the 75th minute saw the pendulum swing back in United’s favour, but with extra time looming, Town were awarded a free kick just inside the United half.

Howland lofted the ball to the far post, where Margarson failed to gather, and Cartwright was first to react to the loose ball, forcing it over the line to score what proved to be the winner.

Tuplin can have no complaints about his dismissal for two mistimed tackles, but Town hung on to claim their quarter-final at Cleethorpes Town.

Skegness Town: Emery, Booth, P Dickinson, Tuplin, Thompson, L Cartwright, Veall, Howland, Orrey, Howard, Papworth, Trestrail, Cobb, Needham.

Skegness United: Margarson, Harris, Drysdale, Skinner, Gowshall, Hyland, Reeson, Scutt, Bartlett, Crossley, Courtney, McGuigan, Starkey, Elliott, Hallam, Callaby.