Depleated Skegness United go down to defeat

Michael Howard sliding in Skegness United's only goal of the game. EMN-150119-122953001
Michael Howard sliding in Skegness United's only goal of the game. EMN-150119-122953001

Sills and Betteridge Lincolnshire League

Cleethorpes AKP 3 Skegness United 1

Skegness United went into the match with a depleted side due to more than half the side from the regular line up missing for various reasons.

The match kicked off in bright sunshine on a very heavy pitch which would make a passing game almost impossible.

The home side started the more brightly, however it was the 14th minute before United had their first shot on goal awith Luke Rayner-Mistry playing in James Steed, whose shot from the edge of the area was tipped over by Josh Thompson.

On 20 minutes Cleethorpes produced the first danger to the United goal when from a corner the ball was cleared out to a home player on the edge of the box, however his shot was blocked and finally cleared.

Two minutes later Sam Sleight had a shot, but it lacked power and was easily gathered by home keeper Thompson.

On 24 minutes after a United attack had broken down home forward Jacob Wilson had a clear run on goal but again his shot lacked any power and caused no problems to Chris Snaith in the United goal.

The game changed on 25 minutes when United took the lead when a perfect cross from Luke Durdey was met by Michael Howard at the far post and he headed across Thompson into the opposite corner.

On 38 minutes Cleethorpes had their best chance of the half when Mike Wilson broke down the right and when his cross went across the face of the goal Jacob Wilson mistimed his shot and ball went out for a goal kick.

With half time approaching Wilson beat two players on the right and then tried a shot from outside the area, however he was wide of the post.

United went in at half time with a one goal advantage and deserved the lead on balance of play and had restricted the home side to very few chances.

Cleethorpes started the second half in a more positive frame of mind and began to take the game to United, however on 50 minutes the visitors could have gone two ahead.

Rayner-Mistry broke down the right beating his marker before putting over a cross which Howard was only inches away from converting.

A few minutes later Rayner-Mistry had a snap shot which was just wide of the post.

The home side finally drew level when Luke Aldrich broke down the right and evaded a couple of tackles before placing his shot past Snaith from a tight angle.

Two minutes later United had a couple of good chances to go back in front when both Josh Clarke and Rayner-Mistry had shots cleared from the six yard area.

On 66 minutes the home side went in front when United failed to clear their lines and Jacob Wilson prodded the ball home from 10 yards.

This prompted United into action from which they replied 10 minutes later when from a free kick Michael Howard hit the top of the bar.

On 70 minutes Cleethorpes had an excellent chance to increase their lead from the penalty spot when Mark Hallam was adjudged to have brought down a player.

From the resulting spot kick Cleethorpes hit the bar and the ball was cleared.

At this stage the home side were looking the more likely to score and on 78 minutes Wilson brought a good save out of Snaith.

On 83 minutes Wilson broke free of the United defence and placed his shot passed Snaith, however Rhys Mansell running back cleared off the line.

In the final minute the home side grabbed their third goal when Renzie Lobendham scored from the edge of the area.

At this stage United were down to 10 men having used their substitutes and Matt Charles off injured.

After an excellent first half for United they ran out of steam in the latter part of the game and Cleethorpes took full advantage.