Chapel Swifts Reserves 1 Burgh Town 1

Share this article

IN a reverse of the previous week’s fixture Burgh Town left Chapel feeling a little deflated, having only managed a 1-1 draw in a game they dominated for large parts.

It was a succession of missed second half chances that cost them two points.

Both teams started strongly, but the blustery conditions on a bumpy pitch did not make it easy to pass the ball and defences had the upper hand.

Burgh broke the deadlock on the half hour. Craig Rawlinson, who was a constant thorn in Swifts’ side all afternoon, cut inside his marker and struck a fierce drive from 25 yards. The Chapel keeper could only parry the shot into the path of the onrushing Charlie Carter, who tapped into an empty net from close range.

With regular keeper Ben Taylor unavailable, Town stalwart Shaun Wathall had to stand between the posts. He, along with Ryan Beresford, David Stamp, Arun Gray and Nyle Miller dealt ably with any Chapel threats on goal.

The second half saw Town start brightly.

Jamie Kilner strutted his stuff in the centre circle as man-of-the-match Carter and Donovan Vickers took hold of the midfield.

Jordan Houlston and the Chapel keeper seemed to be having their own personal dual, the latter saving on three occasions to deny Houlston his goal.

One moment of sloppy defensive play midway through the second half cost Burgh dearly. They failed to clear their lines down their left and Chapel’s Danny Aston gathered the ball and drove into the penalty area, where he was clipped by the unlucky Beresford. Aston dusted himself down and scored from the resultant spot kick.

Vickers had a chance to win it for his side in the dying minutes but his headed effort came back off the cross bar after excellent work by Carter down the left.

Burgh: Wathall, Stamp, Beresford, Gray, Asquith, Kilner, Vickers, Murphy, Carter, Houlston, Rawlinson, McLellan, Miller.

Match sponsors: JN Plumbing and Heating Engineers.

On Saturday Burgh travel to North Cotes for a 2.30pm kick-off.