Britton hits four-minute hat-trick as Town romp to victory against Harrowby

The Skegness Town team line-up.
The Skegness Town team line-up.

Four first-half goals from the Lilywhites’ top scorer Will Britton put the defending champions well on the way to an opening day victory in defence of their Balcan Lighting Supplies Lincolnshire League crown.

Britton hit a four-minute hat-trick to put the seasiders in the driving seat on their new 3G pitch on Wainfleet Road.

After taking the lead midway through the first half the Lilywhites never looked in any danger and went on to an emphatic win.

Town survived an early scare when visiting number nine Corey Ballaam fired wide after latching onto a Kyle Howitt back pass that lacked legs.

And it took 20 minutes for the seasiders to break the deadlock, but the first goal, slotted home by Britton, opened the floodgates.

He notched his first in the 21st minute and fired home two more before the 25th.

Warren forced home a loose ball as a shell-shocked Arrows defence struggled to come to terms with the quick passing and movement of the Lilywhites.

Travis Portas, in the Skegness goal, who had been a spectator for most of the half, had his fingers warmed by a Ballaam shot.

Britton rattled the cross bar but then grabbed his fourth in the 41st minute to make the score at the interval 5-0.

Corey Cunliffe replaced Kurt Crossley at the break and the seasiders continued to pile on the pressure.

They increased their lead after 50 minutes when Davison stole into the box and swept the ball home in off a post.

With the points safe Town boss Nick Chapman introduced his full complement of substitutes.

Alex Nichols, George Hobbins, Danny Stevens and Josh Clarke replaced Miles Chamberlain, Davison, McCauley Parker and Britton.

The fresh legs signalled bad news for the visitors, who continued to chase shadows for the rest of the game, occasionally resorting to pulling their opponents down at the expense of yellow cards.

Arron Scutt hit a post as the seasiders continued to dominate.

They extended their lead in the 74th minute when Warren smashed home his second of the match, before Nichols capped a great move involving youngsters Hobbins, Cunliffe and Clarke to fire home the eighth of the day.

Town boss Chapman said after the game that the result had confirmed his optimism for the season ahead.

“Most of the championship winning squad has stayed and we have a nice blend of youth, experience and pace throughout the side.

“The defence looks really solid again with the signings of Travis Portas and Danny Stevens.

“Along with the addition of local youngsters Corey Cunliffe, Alex Nichols, Kyle Howitt, Kieron Elliott and George Hobbins I feel the future looks bright.”

Chapman admits that his biggest problem will be keeping the talented squad happy.

“I just hope they all buy in to what we are trying to achieve and are all supportive,” he said.

He admitted being disappointed to have lost the services of James Lambley, Wade Hurst and Jordan Smith, but felt the club had its strongest squad for a number of seasons.

Tonight (Wednesday) Skegness will expect a tougher test when neighbours Horncastle Town are the visitors to Wainfleet Road (KO 6.45pm).

TOWN: Portas, Warren, Howitt, Scutt, Chamberlain, Parish, Rayner-Mistry, Davison, Britton, Crossley, Parker, Nichols, Hobbins, Cunliffe, Stevens, Clarke.