Boston United Reserves 4, Skegness United 1

Action from Skegness United's clash at Boston Town Reserves.
Action from Skegness United's clash at Boston Town Reserves.

Lincolnshire League Premier League

United were made to pay for not converting early pressure when they went down 4-1 away to Boston United Reserves on Saturday.

Skegness started the game on the front foot taking the game to Boston. On five minutes, from a United corner, Danny Steven’s header was saved by the home keeper Tom Roberts at the second attempt on the goal line.

A minute later a free kick by Ryan O’Loughlin was headed goalwards by Skinner, but it was easily gathered by Roberts.

On 10 minutes a rasping shot from Andy Reeson was well held by Roberts.

Then after 15 minutes Boston thought they had taken the lead with a header in their first real attack, however the goal was ruled out by the assistant for off side.

At the other end good play by Kurt Crossley played in Luke Rayner-Mistry, however Roberts was quickly off his line to save.

Then on 18 minutes the home side took the lead when Ngoni Dongo was released down the left and afforded far too mmuch room to get his shot off and he beat Ben Martin at his near post to open the scoring.

After the goal United came back at Boston, however could not find that final pass to open up the well-organised home defence.

After a period of Boston pressure United broke with Crossley. He found Scutt who played it onto Rayner-Mistry, and his shot brought the best save of the match to date by Roberts, who tipped it round the post for a corner.

Following a misplaced pass by Andy Reeson the ball fell to McKue whose shot took a deflection for a corner.

From the resulting corner the ball was cleared by United, however fell to Eyett who’s shot was saved on the line by Martin.

On 33 minutes Boston increased their lead when a catastrophic mistake by Martin allowed Arron Eyett to roll the ball into an open goal.

The second half started with United pressing the home side and working hard to try and turn the game around.

However, after 55 minutes disaster struck for the visitors. Arron Eyett broke into the penalty and, after what seemed like contact from Wetton as he cut across him, the referee played the advantage allowing Eyett to shoot but Martin made a great save.

However, the referee then called play back and awarded a penalty and gave Wetton a second yellow card reducing them to 10 men. From the resulting penalty Arron Eyett scored his second of the afternoon and put the home side in a commanding position.

United began to play some of their best football of the match despite the numerical disadvantage and on 65 minutes they reduced the arrears when Jordan Smith found Danny Stevens on the right side, who fired low past Roberts to make it 3-1.

However, no sooner had they given themselves a glimmer of hope of getting back into the game they conceded from a corner when Scott Dawson was left unmarked to head home from close range for the home side’s fourth of the afternoon.

Manager Mark Hallam said: “The result is hard to take after dominating for the first 20 minutes of the game without punishing the home side who to their credit defended very well.

“What’s most disappointing is the fact they have not had to work for all four of their goals as our basic mistakes have handed them on a plate which is not good enough against a good team like Boston.”

Team: Ben Martin, Andy Reeson, Nathan Wetton, Danny Stevens, Sean Chamberlain (Arron Scutt), Jamie Skinner, Jordan Smith (Corey Cunliffe), Kyle McGuigan, Luke Rayner-Mistry, Ryan O’Loughlin (Jamie Waters) and Kurt Crossley. Unused Sub: Tom Pickett. Man of the Match: Andy Reeson.

On Saturday United are at home to GCB Humbertherm with a 2pm kick-off.